Bike for a complete novice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
This might be an idea. Maybe a little lighter than others and has a very wide gear range.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/alight.3.city/19207/77387/

@amaquima can't ride yet, gears are the least of her worries. I wonder if borrowing a bike first mightn't be a good idea.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
There are now enough gorgeous women's town bikes in this thread to begin a hijack. Here's my girlfriend's Delilah, before it was fitted with fancy front wicker basket and a big ding-dong bell.
pic20140420131028.jpg

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
Think of a Tandem!
Ok, it may not appeal to everyone, but shared exercise can be more fun than 2 single bikes, and it doesn't have to be expensive either.
We have hod ours for nearly 4 years, and do regular local rides around West Sussex, both rural, and (luckily) along the coastal paths, all for an initial outlay of £400.
We have cycled to Guernsey, fully laden with 4 panniers, and had a magnificent time as a short break, and because we are not 'died-in-the-wool' racing types, a gentle ride of 20 miles is very easily accomplished. Other than the Guernsey trip, where we piled on the daily miles to 60+, we can easily get a 30-40 mile ride local to us.
Our bike, a Viking Saratoga, ( brought used, and had done a LeJog by the previous owners) whilst maybe not having the 'top dollar' equipment, does us proud, and we really enjoy being together on the same bike. It's a real head turner too!
If you're thinking of getting a pair of singles, factor in a tandem, because it's so much more fun!

I'm considering a write up of the specs of our bike, and a little bit about our trips - if you need any advice, drop me a pm!

Nah, my husband would never go for it... It´s mostly so I can move around on my own. I can't picture him getting a bike... He would rather walk everywhere than ride a bike...xD

_aD

OMG! I need that bike! Tell me all about Delilah!
I believe it was love at first sight! She's started to get some more miles on the clock this year after being kept in her boudoir over winter. I'll see if I can convince her owner to visit and provide an updated picture. If you ask me, someone needs to design a kickstand that looks like a daffodil.

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
I believe it was love at first sight! She's started to get some more miles on the clock this year after being kept in her boudoir over winter. I'll see if I can convince her owner to visit and provide an updated picture. If you ask me, someone needs to design a kickstand that looks like a daffodil.

I bet it was! I might have squealed when I saw the photos! I'm looking for it, but I can only find it in blue and white... That daffodil idea sounds amazing! :biggrin:

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
So, I bought a bike in the end! It's a Raleigh Cuckoo and it's probably too heavy and I probably didn't do a great job putting it together but it's here, it's mine, and I actually manage to ride it a bit today! :biggrin: I am so excited! I have spent about 3 hours practicing and today I managed to do this!

Two days ago I was certain I wasn't going to be able to do it... I'm so excited!

_aD

"I don't care what anyone else thinks, I love my bicycle." There's a theory of life, the universe, and everything for you. Welcome to our midst!

Sara_H

Guru
So, I bought a bike in the end! It's a Raleigh Cuckoo and it's probably too heavy and I probably didn't do a great job putting it together but it's here, it's mine, and I actually manage to ride it a bit today! :biggrin: I am so excited! I have spent about 3 hours practicing and today I managed to do this!

Two days ago I was certain I wasn't going to be able to do it... I'm so excited!

Yay! Well done!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

So glad to hear it! Well done!!

Top Bottom