1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike for a youngster

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Aria30, 4 Jun 2008.

1. Aria30

Aria30 New Member

Hi all,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction please? My young lad (7 years old) has joined a club and is enjoying his cycling. So much so, that he's decided to enter into some races.
    We'd really like to get him a racing bike, as as the moment he's on a mountain bike, which makes it considerably harder for him to compete.
    I've trawled the internet for such a bike, and cannot find any small enough (he's the average size for a 7 year old), please could someone give me any details, links etc to help?

Many thanks
    Aria30

2. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

Try Islabikes - but they don't have a road bike for 7 year olds - only 9+ but the Beinn 24 is only 1lb heavier than the road bike. Slap some skinny tyres on, flip the stem and put some bar ends on and you have yourself a reasonable road steed.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/range_page.html

3. Maz

Maz Guru

Welcome:
    Do you know what the other kids at the club are riding?

4. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

Giant do one. I've only seen it in the T-Mobile colours, not sure if it comes in any other. Not sure on the price either, but i cant see it being a huge amount.
    The LBS near me used/still does have one tucked away somewhere. I could probably get more details on it next time i'm in there if you need.

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Islabikes. I couldn't recommend them enough.

6. OP
    OP
    Aria30

Aria30 New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. The Islabikes looks like a good choice.

At his club there are a couple of other youngsters his age, and their bikes are quite old, so I could get something similar off ebay etc if I could find one. Anyways, thanks for your ideas, it has helped me out, you seem a very friendly lot.
    Cheers
    Aria30