Bike for Tacx Flux Smart Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

areyouactuallymoving

Hi,

Apologies if there have been numerous threads on this (did a quick search but didn't find anything) or if it's in the wrong place.

I am looking to get a Tacx Flux Smart Trainer and would like to get a bike just for this rather than having the faff of removing wheel, fixing to trainer and vice versa with my current bike. I don't know too much about bike specs but would I be better going for a cheap new bike or a cheap secondhand bike? What specs should I look for?

I don't know if any of this will make any difference, but, my 'real' bike is a Norco Search adventure road bike and I would prefer a drop bar, plus I live in the Cotswolds so would be looking to use virtual hills to strengthen me up for rides in the real world.

Cheers!

screenman

Legendary Member
Anything that you can set up with the same position as the main bike.

OP
OP
A

areyouactuallymoving

I think I could put my bike on my trainer in less than 20seconds. Just saying...

You maybe able to, but the trainer I am thinking of getting is a drive train one, so wheels needs to be removed etc. Plus would have to get bike out of shed, up 2 flights of stairs and onto trainer. I know how lazy I am and all that extra faff would put me off. I also intend to keep cycling outside through the winter, so again if I can make my life a bit easier I am more likely to do both.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

areyouactuallymoving

Maybe I need to rephrase the question, does the quality of the bike matter? Would a cheap Apollo from Halfords do, or would a better quality second-hand bike (or a slightly more exp3nsive, but still cheap e.g a BTwin road bike) with gearing closer to my current bike be worth the extra money?

CXRAndy

Guru
Spend the money on a decent turbo and use your bike. A top end smart trainer are so much better than the budget trainers. Tacx Neo, Wahoo Kickr, Elite? (cant remember model)

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
As long as the new bike is 9 speed or above and somewhere close in setup to your usual bike, no problem

Personally I would see how go removing the wheel - you might not even like turbo training. A dedicated bike just for the turbo seems a massive expense. And if you want the exact same set up - you going to need the same bike.
If you really can't hack taking the wheel off - Id go for a used bike at around £150 and take the hit it won't feel exactly same.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It doesnt have to be identical, but you need tobe able to get into a very similar position to tour current bike. It would be preferable if the gear shifters were similar to your current bike too.

You are probably better going second hand imho.

OP
OP
A

areyouactuallymoving

Hi,

Thanks again for the replies, you are probably right that I should at least try it with taking the wheel off, started looking for a similar bike and it was looking a bit more expensive than I thought. Never realised that secondhand bikes went for so much.

Hi,

Thanks again for the replies, you are probably right that I should at least try it with taking the wheel off, started looking for a similar bike and it was looking a bit more expensive than I thought. Never realised that secondhand bikes went for so much.

Depends what you are looking for. I save loads by buying 'nearly new' of e-bay - for example my alu defy which the owner said had 20 miles on it - (and tbh it didn't look like it had that) £250 v about £500-600 new.
Whats strange is though the values don't continue to drop - a tatty older defy I reckon would still fetch close to £200 !!!

Top Bottom