Bike Frame Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seda22

Hi, I am ordering a road bike online but according to my height and inseam length I am right on the edge of medium and large bike frame sizes. I am 5'11" and inseam length of 31", the Medium bike frame size ends at a height of 5'11" and inseam length of 31", while the Large bike frame size starts at height of 5'11" and inseam length of 31", so I am undecided on which would be better. My first guess would be the Large bike frame size, but I'm not sure, I'm new to bikes.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Go for the smaller frame. Seat post height and stem length can be increased easily. Shortening things is a bit more difficult.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd get the Large if it had a taller head tube, because smaller frames combined with high saddles tend to mean having the bars set lower than is comfortable. Someone "new to bikes" really ought to physically swing a leg over any potential purchase first, to see what fits and what doesn't. I can happily buy bikes based on nothing more than a photo for sizing, because I'm not new to bikes and I know from experience what will fit me comfortably. If I didn't have that experience, I would want to actually try a bike for size first, rather than take a chance. Buying the wrong size could prove to be a costly error.

vickster

Legendary Member
What bike is it? Maybe someone can advise. You need to try it, but I'd exoect the medium to be better, potentially with a longer stem

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Going for the large might not be ideal as the standover might be too high as you are on the borderline and that definitely won't be comfortable so the Med might be the best bet, as @Vantage says other stuff can be adjusted.
There should be a geometry chart so check the top tube height for the precise standover. If the top tube slopes back it may not be so much of an issue.
Are you male or female, your profile doesn't say?

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
U

User6179

I am half inch taller but same leg length, on some bikes I would go up, on others I would go down, pointless listening to any advice as no one knows the actual size of the bikes.

OP
OP
S

seda22

Going for the large might not be ideal as the standover might be too high as you are on the borderline and that definitely won't be comfortable so the Med might be the best bet, as @Vantage says other stuff can be adjusted.
There should be a geometry chart so check the top tube height for the precise standover. If the top tube slopes back it may not be so much of an issue.
Are you male or female, your profile doesn't say?

Welcome to the forum.
I'm male. It's a Schwinn Signature Men's Fremont Hybrid Bike, I'm just using it for casual road rides of 5 to 15 miles. I'm in southern New Jersey, so it's mostly flat terrain.

OP
OP
S

seda22

What bike is it? Maybe someone can advise. You need to try it, but I'd exoect the medium to be better, potentially with a longer stem
It's a Schwinn Signature Men's Fremont Hybrid Bike, I'm just using it for casual road rides of 5 to 15 miles. I'm in southern New Jersey, so it's mostly flat terrain.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As it's got a sloping top tube which gives you extra clearance for standover you could comfortably go for the large, but med would also suit.
As biggsy says best to try but if you are set on this particular bike you should be okay. Can't you find a local bike shop which has something similar so you can just see? Hybrids are the most popular bike for city travel so there's plenty of choice and LBSs will have a good selection.
It's also a better bet buying locally as if you have any problems you can just take it back. They also usually offer a free first service if anything needs adjustment which inevitably it does. Id always recommend buying this way especially if you're starting out with bikes.

Last edited:

nickAKA

Über Member
I'm a similar height & inside leg, my hybrid is size large & comfortable, my road bikes are medium & comfortable. I'm longer in the leg than the body so this works for me cos I'm a bit more upright on the road bike but not too upright on the hybrid. I don't think a short test ride helped with either decision tbh, so maybe I just got lucky - I tinkered with the road bike setup for quite a while before I was properly happy with it but I wanted to do century rides so that's to be expected.

Top Bottom