1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bike frame sizing...

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Maz, 18 Feb 2008.

1. Maz

Maz Guru

yes, sorry, it must've been asked before so apologies for that.

If a bike has a 57cm frame for example, between which 2 points is that measurement made?

Thank you.

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Depends on manufacturer. There is no industry standard. I.e. it's up to you to check.

3. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Will do, cheers dom.

4. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

5. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Yes it does. Thank you.

I would've thought (intuitively) that the most important measurement would be the distance from the floor to the top of the top tube, so you know if you can freely straddle it without crushing your balls on it. Everything after that seems secondary!

6. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

Maz, I can see where you're coming from! but in reality, if the other elements all fit (and I'd say that the reach is most important) then you're unlikely to have a problem with standover height unless you're particularly short. e.g. Mrs G has just got a Spesh Tricross in 49cm size, and although the reach is fine, and actually slightly shorter than her made-to-measure, based on Bikefitting measurements, road bike, she can only just straddle the top tube - OK with bike shoes on, but not without. - She's 5ft 0.