Bike GPS.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

A little while ago I posted on here asking anyone who may be using a Garmin Edge 510 for their opinions on the unit. I am in the market for a GPS and had pretty much settled on the 510, but a casual remark made by a friend made me wonder if I had been a bit blinkered by Garmin.

I thought I had researched the 510 pretty well, reading various reviews, asking opinions of fellow cyclists on here etc, until my mate suggested Garmin's come in at a premium because of their name. Fair enough, they are a bit more pricey than some of the competition, but I'm presuming that the majority of cyclists running GPS aren't just sucked in by a name, or blinded by the fact they sponsor a pro team. They have to be the most popular units out there because, basically, they are good..........right??

I'd appreciate any advice or opinions from users of other makes, as to why a Garmin might not be the best option. As I say, I have extensively researched the 510 and did look (briefly) at the Magellan units too. However, the battery life on the Magellan's is a bit of an issue.

I'm all ears if you guys think there is another unit out there which will give the 510 a run for its money. Thanks.

You could look at Bryton or Holux but I like the reliability of Garmin and Ive no experience of the other two.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

You could look at Bryton or Holux but I like the reliability of Garmin and Ive no experience of the other two.
What Garmin unit are you running HLaB? The 510 seems to do pretty much all I'd need. It would be good to have mapping, but justifying the price of an Edge 1000 is difficult.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Don't forget Satmap either, even though I have a connection with them, the Active 12 in my opinion is a brilliant piece of kit, especially if you want mapping. No problems with battery life either.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Magellan, maybe not as many choices as Garmin, but still good units. I still have an old GPS 2000 satnav unit for woods, trails, and sailboating(if I ever get another sailboat). Never has given me 1 minute of trouble.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Thanks for all your replies and advice guys.

What Garmin unit are you running HLaB? The 510 seems to do pretty much all I'd need. It would be good to have mapping, but justifying the price of an Edge 1000 is difficult.
A 200 and a 800; and I used a 305 for years, similar mapping technology to the 200/500/510. Unless you are randomly going off route often for a considerable distance; the bread crumb mapping (305/200/500/510) is just as good IMO and perhaps better if you are following it fast.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A 200 and a 800; and I used a 305 for years, similar mapping technology to the 200/500/510. Unless you are randomly going off route often for a considerable distance; the bread crumb mapping (305/200/500/510) is just as good IMO and perhaps better if you are following it fast.
What I like about the 800 is the ability to see, on the bars, where an interesting looking road ends up - it's nice to be able to plot a route on the fly, and I've found a few good rides that way.

For people with a better innate sense of direction than mine, it could be more than is needed though.

Top Bottom