Bike Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

i am looking to insure my mountain bike and am wondering how others do this? is it through normal insurance? or specific bike insurance? i have looked online but with many you seem to be paying for road insurance which i don't need. any ideas?

Davidc

Guru

OP
OP
J

Jim77

This is exactly what I have been finding, it is 3rd party bike insurance for roadies. This is not what I want as I am a mountain biker who never rides on the road.

I want insurance to cover theft and possible damage to my bike during mountain biking. Any ideas?

Davidc

Guru
Doesn't matter where you are 3rd party is a good idea.

If you have a house/ flat and have house contents insurance OR live in a house where someone else (the owner or renter) has, you will often find that covers theft, albeit with requirements for it being locked.

For damage to the bike while in use, there are links on the other thread to comprehensive insurance. I've copied this one for you.

http://www.eta.co.uk/insurance/cycle

GilesM

Legendary Member
Most home insurance will cover bikes for theft, however many don't cover bikes above £500, so just check if you need the higher value, Sheilas' Wheels seem to be pretty good for higher value bikes on a normal policy.

PoiSon

Yeh but on home insurances it costs u £75 excess. The links I put up have no excess and there are a few other benefits of them. Tbh the amount my bikes seem to get stolen I'm gna be getting separate insurance.

U

User482

M&S are very good - they include an unlimited number of bikes up to £4000 on your home contents insurance.

GilesM

Legendary Member
PoiSon said:
Yeh but on home insurances it costs u £75 excess. The links I put up have no excess and there are a few other benefits of them. Tbh the amount my bikes seem to get stolen I'm gna be getting separate insurance.

It depends on the policy, mine is actually £100 excess, however you pay a very high premium for no excess on cycleguard, if I put in the value of my two mtbs into the cycleguard website, combined value of £3500 then the quote is £80 more than I am paying for my home insurance (contents and buidlings) which includes all of my bikes, it all depends on the chance of your bikes being stolen and the value of them.

As User482 mentioned, M&S are also pretty good.

Top Bottom