Bike Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Hi All,
I'm a newbie on the forum, although I've been reading it for a while. I'm after some guidance on a bike lock. I'm only looking to use it for cafe stops and the like, live in a reasonably rural area. I've been riding for a few years since we moved out to the sticks but tend to ride between 25-50 miles pretty much non stop and am looking to extend by stopping so far round. I want something secure (having had a bike nicked from my garage about a year ago, now locked heftily I hasten to add) but not too heavy. What do people think is the best type, D locks or chains? Looking forward to any advice.

vickster

Legendary Member
I always use a D lock which I carry in a rack bag (sometimes a cable if leaving for an extended time in a risky area).
I did buy an Abus Bordo folding lock on special but yet to use. Seem decently regarded for lower risk and not so heavy, can also attach to bike frame if needed.
Unfortunately good locks tend to be heavy.
If you need to stop, find somewhere you can take bike in with you?

I think most cafe stops are normally low risk.
So I've a small aluminium D lock as my "cafe" lock.
It would be as strong as cheese if anybody tried to cut it.
But it looks the part, so there's probably only a small risk of someone trying.
Plus the weight of it plus two 5' cables and a plain padlock is still a lot lighter than a single solid steel D lock while they give me more options on how to lock my bike.
But I would probably accept the weight penalty and carry my steel D lock if I was going to have to lock the bike in what I think as a high risk area.

Luck .......... ^_^

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
On a road bike I can't abide lugging a huge D lock around the roads all day so I'll only use a pocket Abus combination cable lock while I'm ordering (and preferably where I can still see the bike), and then I keep the bike within sight while I sit. These stops tend to be at rural pubs or tea rooms etc where well equipped thieves don't tend to target, but it's a compromise certainly.
Anywhere higher risk (town centres etc), and / or when stopping for longer periods unfortunately means a proper D lock and all the weight that entails. A frame fitting is handy so you're at least not carrying a bag. I use an Abus Granit for those situations.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Forget the D Lock if you're roadie-ing around the countryside.
If you're cafe stopping then get a small cafe lock or a hip lock. (google is your friend)

Halfords sell the HipLock for about £35. You wear it as a belt. It's not too heavy or intrusive.
I carry a small combination cafe lock.

Reactions: C R

brucers

Guru
Where possible, I try to make sure I can see my bike from where I am. One decent lock should give you time to get back to your bike should someone start tampering with it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have one of these - it should deter the casual thief equipped with wire cutters but obviously not much cop against someone better equipped.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-d-lock-black-id_8342034.html

It's quite light, fits in a pocket.. I also have a thin retractable cable lock with a combination but that would be strictly for somewhere very low risk.

froze

Über Member
When you say you're only going to use the lock when you're at a cafe, are going to be in sight of the bike at all times? And is that the only places you will be locking up the bike? if so a D lock is heavy and bulky but they are the best, problem is for locking up something with such a solid of a lock that you're going to be keeping an eye on it most of the time seems a bit of an overkill to me especially being in a rural area.

There's two ways of looking at this. The way I look at it is I just have a stupidly simple cable lock, it's enough of a lock to keep honest people honest, but if someone tries to cut it I'm never out of sight of the bike long enough for that to happen unnoticed, and since where I live bike theft is a rarity I'm not concerned, in fact I lock my bike outside of my work with that same lock for years and I have no fear about it, and I use it in my garage to lock my bike, and I use it on when I go bicycle camping and lock the bike with it to a park bench while I sleep. If using a cable lock scares you, fine I understand, and if I were in your shoes with that sort of fear then I would at least find a lightweight alternative like this TiGr mini lock:

View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0155L1G9W?tag=thbebilo-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
this lock weighs less than a pound whereas a D lock can weigh more than 3 pounds like that Abus Granite D lock, and the TiGr lock works similar to a D lock. 3 pounds is a lot of weight to carry around for something that you're only going to use it at cafes while on long rides, I don't even bring my lock on long rides where I know I'll be stopping at some cafe.

With that TiGr lock you could carry a looped cable you can buy at any home improvement place and wrap the cable around more of the bike and loop it through the TiGr lock, I don't see why you would want to do that but just a thought if you want a bit more security.

Anyway just a different thought to consider.

There are a couple of really lightweight locks like the OttoLock Cinch, these are useless, they're nothing more than a thick lockable zip tie and there have been reports of these locks being defeated in less than a couple of seconds. If the cost of the TiGr lock is a bit high for your budget than consider the Foldylock, it cost the same as the Abus Granite D lock but weighs a pound less, see:

View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753FDJG8/?linkCode=xm2&tag=popularmechanics_auto-append-20&ascsubtag=[artid|10060.g.3032[src|[ch|[lt|
The problem with the locks like the Abus, and the TiGr is that they take up a water bottle mount, which means you have to carry one less bottle of water with you unless you throw them into a backpack, the Foldylock comes with it's own mounting system that doesn't require a water bottle mount. Another lock you can get is one that you wear around your waist, though this lock is as heavy as the Abus lock but it's cheaper than the Abus, is the Hiplok, see:

View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FNX4I0/?linkCode=xm2&tag=popularmechanics_auto-append-20&ascsubtag=%5Bartid%7C10060.g.3032%5Bsrc%7C%5Bch%7C%5Blt%7C&th=1
That Hiplok is quite long, longer than a D lock making it easier to wrap the lock around a pole, but you do have to wear it around your waist. I do have a problem wearing something hard anywhere near my body, if you have an accident that thing could do some serious damage, if you want examples of damage stuff did in accidents just ask and I'll spend the time to tell you.

Reactions: mjr

Magpies

This mini D-lock weighs about 500gms and is available at Amazon for £34. I find it perfect as a cafe lock in the higher-risk areas where I park briefly. Comes with a bracket but it's small and light enough to carry in a pannier, carrier or backpack.

Kryptonite Evolution Mini-7 Bicycle U-Lock w/ 4’ KryptoFlex™ Double Loop Cable

On a road bike I can't abide lugging a huge D lock around the roads all day so I'll only use a pocket Abus combination cable lock while I'm ordering (and preferably where I can still see the bike), and then I keep the bike within sight while I sit. These stops tend to be at rural pubs or tea rooms etc where well equipped thieves don't tend to target, but it's a compromise certainly.
Anywhere higher risk (town centres etc), and / or when stopping for longer periods unfortunately means a proper D lock and all the weight that entails. A frame fitting is handy so you're at least not carrying a bag. I use an Abus Granit for those situations.

same here, just an Abus combi lock, the size of a rounded off match box. It should be enough for an opportunist but not more...

Top Bottom