bike luggage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmace

I'm fed up of having a rucksack on my back for my cycling to work, it makes my fingers tingle and my back sweaty

I have an Apollo CX.10s (it's all I could afford at the time!) hybrid bike 21" frame.

What can I buy for this?
can I just buy a bag like this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...3993_crumb_33980-31270_parentcategoryrn_33993
or do I need something like this as well?: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...3993_crumb_33980-31270_parentcategoryrn_33993

I'm only using these as an example, doesn't mean I'll buy these ones from there (am open to suggestions, it's pay day tomorrow!)

just never used/bought anything like this so need advise!

thanks

You'll need a rack to mount the panniers, if your bike has eyelets you'll be able to fit a rack like shown. For panniers I find Ortlieb are reccomended by most folk, its what I've got and I'd agree they were right.

PrettyboyTim

Hi mmace,
You will need a rack to go with your pannier. As HLab says, the Ortileb panniers seem pretty well-respected, although you do pay for quality.

I have a pair of Altura panniers and although they are pretty good I do wish they were a bit better suited to carrying when off the bike. They have a shoulder strap but the clips can dig into your back when you carry them that way.

I would suggest working out how much you want to carry and in what situations (i.e. do you want to be able to easily carry your pannier around off the bike, do you need them to keep out the rain for hours at a time etc...) and then have a look at what your local bike shop has got.

k-dog

Came across these recently which appeal to me too. Would depend on what sort of stuff you were trying to carry though.

http://www.carouseldesignworks.com/CDWpage1.html

He seems to be able to do pretty well anything and it looks like a decent way to carry weight.

326921619_ad34a3b577.jpg

Night Train

Maker of Things
Also look at motor bike bags (someone here told me this) as they are bigger and can carry more. They are also (usually) rain proof at the legal speed limit though can be heavier.

I have several sets for different loads from my Harley riding days.

dodgy

I'm waiting for boj to give us the real low-down on bike luggage, you guys don't know anything.

Dave.

sadjack

I like Carradice Super C's. Expensive but rugged. Its all down to how many pennies are available, but I do like to get to work with my stuff intact and dry.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Yeah...I'm kinda waiting to hear something like, "Best bag is NONE! They look numpty, and lower your center of gravity, and the weight can shift, and worst of all, they keep the spray from the wheels from saturating your arse!" ;-)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
threefingerjoe said:
Yeah...I'm kinda waiting to hear something like, "Best bag is NONE! They look numpty, and lower your center of gravity, and the weight can shift, and worst of all, they keep the spray from the wheels from saturating your arse!" ;-)

Aye, a rack and panniers are defiantly the way to go, but go to a real bike shop and not Halfrauds... try the LBS Recommendations for one in your area...

Top Bottom