Bike Magic, new Service from Virgin Trains!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

john59

Guru
Just seen this on facebook from the CTC, New Service from Virgin Trains!

Bike Magic is our new delivery service that'll get your precious two-wheeler from A to B, just like magic.

I think they need to up the insurance cover!

John

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Link didn't work. I think this is the right one: Bike Magic

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think they need to up the insurance cover!

''Includes insurance of up to £50 per order (additional insurance available on request)''

I imagine few people would be happy with such low insurance. I suspect it's in the additional insurance that they'll make their profit.

I'm struggling to think why anyone would use this service, the bike's got to be in a hard shell box so why wouldn't you just take it with you on the train or in/on the car?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Um, seems useful if you are selling a bike?
True. But this isn't how they're pitching it. They say "Whether it's a cycle trip with friends, getting ready for race day or a looking forward to a leisurely bike ride, Bike Magic will be able to collect and deliver your bike."

I suppose going to the start of a big tour like a LEJOG or JOGLE it might appeal. But I must say that I've never thought to myself. "I fancy a leisurely bike ride tomorrow. I just wish there was a handy way I could get my bike to the start in a big box".

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I agree the service appears all but useless.

For a ride back, the stupid box will have to be left at your starting point.

If selling a bike, the box will be left with the buyer.

Both those problems are easily foreseen, so what baffles me more is someone at Virgin must think the service is usable.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It has a narrow range of applicability along the lines of... I want to go on a circular bike tour in Scotland or the Lakes. I have my bike delivered to a hotel/b&b collect it, ride it, have a holiday on it, send it back. Apart from that? Useless. Dreamed up by no one who rides a bike. if they wanted to do it for real it would include hire of the box(es) and decent insurance. But that would be too expensive.

400bhp

Guru
Hmmm, very odd.

If I want to go somewhere a distance away and do a bike ride, I would simply take my bike on the train anyway.

The cynic in me would say this is the first step on the journey (wahay-pun intended) for Virgin to start charging for bikes on trains.

400bhp

Guru
This, weirdly may work for people that work away from home for a few days or more, that travel by train but find it difficult to get their bikes to/from stations.

KneesUp

Guru
This, weirdly may work for people that work away from home for a few days or more, that travel by train but find it difficult to get their bikes to/from stations.
but who have someone to collect and store their bike and a big box ...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Seems pretty pointless to me. They would be better off opening up the first-class storage area* on the Pendolinos and doubling their bike carrying capacity IMHO.

*It's identical to the one in the pauper's end, I've managed to get my bike in there once when the guard had let a load of exchange students dump their bags in the cycle space I'd reserved.

KneesUp

Guru
It is a ridiculous situation that I have concluded that, should I ever get around to doing a bike tour in some remote part of this glorious country, the cheapest and most convenient way to do it would be to buy £500 worth of small hatchback and drive to where I want to start, do a big loop, drive back, polish the car and sell it.

Top Bottom