Bike maintenance book?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I want to learn how to look after my bike and would rather have old-fashioned paper and print than the laptop out in the yard!

I know very little about bike maintenance so am looking for something geared towards the novice rather than greased-up monkey.

The Haynes Bike Book seems to have fairly good reviews but what else is out there?

ChristinaJL

My husband has this book, he says it's good. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26894

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Best of both worlds - Park Tool website, print out the relevant pages, take them to the yard. No hass if they get greasy fingerprints all over.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I hate the Haynes one ... and I have The Park Tools big blue book (which Mr Summerdays uses) and I like Mel Allwood's The Complete Bike Book. There are also a couple of others on the book shelf but they would be the two most often referenced. Just looked the Haynes one actually has a layer of dust on it, due to under-use. However the number of books in no way reflects my mechanical competence or lack of.... :biggrin:

What I recommend is going into a bookshop and looking up something you do know how to do and see how you find their explanation of it.

And it is good having a book you can take to the bike rather than going backwards and forwards from the computer, or browse on the sofa.

Top Bottom