Bike maintenance learning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
With the increasing proliferation of Di2 ( other e shift stuff is available) and e-bikes, a lot of the ‘simple’ stuff, isn’t quite so ‘simple’ anymore. We are getting towards the sorts of ‘sealed unit’ shenanigans, which afflicts cars increasingly.

That's perfectly true, but we all have the choice not to buy all this non-DIY friendly stuff in the first place. If you don't want to be at the mercy of the LBS who want to charge you silly money for what could and should be basic DIY work, then don't buy bikes stuffed with electronics, and stay away from junk engineering like press fit BB's, and sealed cartridge bearings. Everything I ride is steel, has cup & cone ball bearings, threaded headsets, no electronics, no-hydraulics, and can be maintained by anyone with a few tools and a bit of basic mechanical savvy. Bikes ain't rocket science, and if they are, you're riding the wrong sort of bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[*]If you’re working on shimano derailleurs, DO buy a JIS #2 screwdriver off eBay or Amazon to avoid lunching the cross-headed limit screws (they ain’t Philips or pozi!!!)
You can tell JIS heads by a dot cut in one of the quarters - but I never find out a JIS driver because all I have are double-cut heads that also accept a small straight screwdriver. Just never try to tighten the limit when it's on that limit and never ever be tempted to try a ph or pz!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In this case, it's not disinterested, but inept. Plus the motivation to do stuff due to a lack of funds.

Me, I trained as a mechanical engineer... :blush:
I trained as a journalist, but have always worked on my own bikes. There were books before the internet. Frank Berto wrote a good many of them, he just passed last week, GRHS. We had some books on almost every aspect of cycling. Lack of funds is a great motivator. Local bike shop told someone I knew they had no idea I was involved in cycling. I had no idea where I would get the money to pay for them to fix my bicycle.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Nothing beats a co-op for hands on experience with a wide variety of bicycles and equipment. At mine, working on other peoples' bikes earns you the equivalent in trade of dollars per hour, usable in the purchase of used bikes and gear. YouTube is great. Actual experience is greater. Experience across several bikes is better yet. For YouTube, I recommend RJ The Bike Guy, Monkey Shred, GCN, Park Tool,and Bike Radar.

simongt

Guru
If you’re working on shimano derailleurs, DO buy a JIS #2 screwdriver off eBay or Amazon to avoid lunching the cross-headed limit screws (they ain’t Philips or pozi!!!)
Agree completely. After seeing a rewiew about JIS screwdrivers on YouTube, I bought a set and they're an absolute boon - ! First job I tackled was shifting the rusted in Pozi screws holding the 'throne' down in the bathroom. Pozi @ Phillips screwdrivers wouldn't budge them without the risk of camming out & wrecking the head. :cursing: JIS screwdriver; Doddle - ! :thumbsup:
I've also invested in some Robertson screwdrivers & screws 'cos of the camming out issue with Pozi & Phillips. Check them out - ! ^_^

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Mattk50 the best way to learn is to try and do it yourself with the help of you tube

I trained as a journalist, but have always worked on my own bikes. There were books before the internet. Frank Berto wrote a good many of them, he just passed last week, GRHS. We had some books on almost every aspect of cycling. Lack of funds is a great motivator. Local bike shop told someone I knew they had no idea I was involved in cycling. I had no idea where I would get the money to pay for them to fix my bicycle.

And hardcopy manuals as well... The local library was always a good source of "how to" books.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Agree completely. After seeing a rewiew about JIS screwdrivers on YouTube, I bought a set and they're an absolute boon - ! First job I tackled was shifting the rusted in Pozi screws holding the 'throne' down in the bathroom. Pozi @ Phillips screwdrivers wouldn't budge them without the risk of camming out & wrecking the head. :cursing: JIS screwdriver; Doddle - ! :thumbsup:
I've also invested in some Robertson screwdrivers & screws 'cos of the camming out issue with Pozi & Phillips. Check them out - ! ^_^
I like Robertson screwdrivers and screws, although they only seem to be common in Canada. It's a good, reliable system.

[/QUOTE]
I like Robertson screwdrivers and screws, although they only seem to be common in Canada. It's a good, reliable system.
Used in a lot of pockethole joinery systems too. Robertson vs Philips was a bit like the VHS vs Betamax debacle, with the inferior format winning due to a dominant market position.

EDIT: actually, less like VHS vs Betamax and more a result of unfortunate decisions by the IP owner. Good vid on this by the History Guy, if you can tolerate the presenting style:

View: https://youtu.be/R-mDqKtivuI

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Used in a lot of pockethole joinery systems too. Robertson vs Philips was a bit like the VHS vs Betamax debacle, with the inferior format winning due to a dominant market position.
[/QUOTE]
Thinking it might be nice for marine applications as well.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Further to my earlier post about the two MTBs I got from a scrap man, I ended up stripping the Raleigh and giving the frame back to him. The Apollo, I fixed up and eventually swapped it for this Giant OCR from another local scrap man...

DSC_1959.jpg

It needed a saddle, front mech (and bracket) and, as can be seen in the photo a spoke was broken in the back wheel. I called at Halfords but they didn't have a black poke in the right size but upon searching in my shed I found another wheel which suits the bike better than the one that was on it. This has a black rim, like the front wheel and the same 8 speed cassette. So an easy fix in the end for less than £30.

Top Bottom