Bike maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Obviously after a ride on salty roads you need to wash the salt off with warm water:

IMG-20130406-00931_zps24e2d43d.jpg

Davidc

Guru
Mickle for the chain, monthly + when it's been wet.

Check tyres for bits stuck in them after each ride. Pressures weekly ish.

Clean rims and brake blocks weekly or after they get wet.

Go over and check everything monthly and repair as needed. plus other routine lubrication and adjustments.

Silicone grease on seals of lights whenever batteries are changed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Baby Wipes are excellent for cleaning the frame. I use match sticks to get the crud out of the spaces between the cassette cogs. Cut Baby Wipes into thin strips and then twist them to make "string" You can floss your cassette with them.

£1 bottle of Mr Sheen for the frame and a cheap micro fibre cloth, the chain i use a sponge and some Finish cross country. No special routine just as an when.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Obviously after a ride on salty roads you need to wash the salt off with warm water:

IMG-20130406-00931_zps24e2d43d.jpg
Cmon, remove the saddle bag and bottle first!
But... but... then she'd be naked! :eek: This is a family-friendly forum, isn't it?

By the way, I'm feeling a bit deflated. I searched the first page of this thread for the word "Mickle", and found nothing :sad:. Nobody's invoked Mickle's Law*** of CC forum maintenance threads, yet.

*** I see this one as a bit like Godwin's Law, but applying to the probability of "Mickling" your chain being mentioned increasing with the number of posts on a maintenance-related thread :laugh:.

Skipper

After each ride I hose the bike down, dry and polish it. On a Saturday night, the bike I'm taking out for a Sunday ride gets a chain clean, cassette clean, the air let out of the tyres and inspected for flints/cuts and then pumped up to correct pressure, and all allen key bolts checked to make sure nothings loose.
WOW!, Super efficient.

Crankarm

Guru
I don't think many of the posters here spend much time actually riding their bikes given the amount of cleaning and polishing they appear to give them. Some of us are actually out there riding mile after mile after mile. I clean mine every 6 to 8 weeks. Bike specific chain lubes are expensive rip off rubbish. Use chain saw oil instead £4.99 for one litre and it sticks to the chain like custard to a clean cycling jersey.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I don't think many of the posters here spend much time actually riding their bikes given the amount of cleaning and polishing they appear to give them. Some of us are actually out there riding mile after mile after mile. I clean mine every 6 to 8 weeks. Bike specific chain lubes are expensive rip off rubbish. Use chain saw oil instead £4.99 for one litre and it sticks to the chain like custard to a clean cycling jersey.
Each to his own I say.

Top Bottom