Bike Mileage Allowance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purpleR

Guru
Hi,
I'm trying to persuade my work to introduce a mileage allowance for work journeys by bike, to encourage cycling over car use etc etc (I probably don't need to convince you guys ;))
Can anyone tell me if their work has a similar scheme and if so, how much per mile do you get?
Ta.

Alcdrew

There is some goverment set allowance link to VAT or something. At least I'm sure I read that some where. I will try and find a link.

Edit: Here it say's you can have upto 20p per mile

Monkey Boy

I think my company gives a 18p/mile allowance. Get paid to cycle.....oh yes!! I don't know of anyone who cycles to meetings / appointments though....I work in a shirt and tie kinda place.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I claim the car mileage allowance for any business mileage done on my bike :evil:

I visit clients on bike regularly, (if the weather is good)

Generally won't travel further than 4-5 miles each way though

I claim 20p mile and have done for some considerable time

Big T

Guru
I get 20p per mile. i have cycled to meetings in Derby from Nottingham (20 miles each way). I once cycled to a conference in Cheltenham (120 miles each way).

We get it in my org. We have two offices that we occasionally have to visit. People can take the train and claim the fare, or cycle and claim the mileage. I've never done it, but I would like to, for the sake of it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
They are proposing to change my contract in September, and then I would get paid cycle miles of I think 40p per mile plus a small allowence for having to carry work materials at another couple of pence per mile. Can't wait - currently 0p.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
RichK said:
Here it's the 20p a mile rate unless you have a bike on the cycle to work scheme where it's 0p (the claim is that it's their bike you're using).
But aren't you providing the fuel for the bike?

Alcdrew

TwickenhamCyclist said:
Interesting for anyone employed:
http://www.londonanalytics.info/cycle-to-work

If you’re self employed don’t forget to claim proportion of capital cost for cost of bike and maintenance!

Love that...

5 minutes paid holiday for every day cycled
Over a full working year this equates to 19 hours, or two and a half extra days of leave, based on a 5-day week, 228 working days in the year, and a contracted working day of up to 7.5 hours)

going to bring that up at my next office meeting

Top Bottom