Bike Mileage Allowance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget, any mileage claim over and above the Inland Revenue rate is a taxable benefit......

Sorry - accountant mode here...

Our organisation do 17p per mile so I would probably have been quids in to cycle to another campus 40 miles away and back on the bike rather than the car, but it was early and I didn't know where the site's changing/shower facilities were.

I could quite often cycle into the main campus by bike, but I'd be too sweaty though - I can't do slow on my bike - usually catch the bus after cycling into my main site, get changed etc...

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
20p/mile. Except that the wonderful computerised expenses system doesn't recognise it. It is an acceptable option, but doesn't add anything on to the total. !!

Kirst

25p per mile, but only for work purposes, not for the commute. Until a few weeks ago I was seconded to another office so I claimed mileage for the commute as well. My employer will pay bike mileage for people using the Bike to Work scheme, and my commuting mileage more than paid for what I'm paying for the bike, so I transfer what's over into a separate account and use it for paying for bike stuff - repairs, accessories etc.

Tynan said:
does 20p/mile even pay for wear and tear?

It would on my bike! :biggrin:

Currently, I get 0p per mile cycling.

I don't know much about this. I was under the impression that vehicle users could only claim mileage allowance outside their normal commuting miles anyway?

OP
OP
purpleR

purpleR

Guru
thanks for all the replies - it looks like 20p a mile is a reasonable figure. And the link to the tax link thing will be really useful to back my argument up.
Beanzontoast - yes, I'm thinking about any trips done for work that are outside the normal commute.

GrahamG

Guru
Plax said:
Is this business milage, rather than just your everyday commute into work?

Sorry, missed this. Yes, business mileage only, although I should add that a few companies in the UK do pay for commuting journeys as part of travel planning initiatives, but this is then taxable unlike the reimbursement of expenses through business mileage.

GrahamG

Guru
RichK said:
Here it's the 20p a mile rate unless you have a bike on the cycle to work scheme where it's 0p (the claim is that it's their bike you're using).

I still claimed :rolleyes:

To be fair, I work for a transport consultancy, clients love it if they see cycle mileage claims because we're practising what we preach.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:
does 20p/mile even pay for wear and tear?

I think it's not unreasonable - see the bike cost/mile topic on yacf.co.uk. I think my bent is about 27p/mile or so at the moment, but then I did do a massive rebuild and spend lots of money on her, which will hopefully last quite a few miles yet.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I can't claim mileage unfortunately, since I'm self-employed and let the business buy both my bikes and skates.

simoncc

We had bike mileage allowances at an old job of mine. Eventually they were stopped as they worked out more expensive than car allowances. For an employee to make a site visit in his car or the office van cost less overall in staff wages and mileage allowances than the cost of him going on a bike, mainly because of the increased time the visit took by bike. Our office was in an area with no real traffic problems. I could see that bike travel could work out cheaper in areas where heavy traffic makes short business trips quicker by bike.

Maz

Guru
hang on, hang on...where people are quoting Xp/mile are you on about your bike commute or for other business trips?
Sorry for joining late and all, but who gets paid to cycle to work?!
I think I'm missing a trick here!

OP
OP
purpleR

purpleR

Guru
Maz said:
hang on, hang on...where people are quoting Xp/mile are you on about your bike commute or for other business trips?
Sorry for joining late and all, but who gets paid to cycle to work?!
I think I'm missing a trick here!

I think for pretty much everyone it's business trips rather than cycling to work. Unless you're self employed in which case it could be a tax deduction maybe???

BentMikey said:
I can't claim mileage unfortunately, since I'm self-employed and let the business buy both my bikes and skates.

Are you absolutely sure about that mikey?
IMHO with a car you have a choice of either adding up all the costs (fuel, service, mot etc) for the tax year, working out the business/private use percentage and claiming for the business percentage OR claiming 40ppm.
I’m sure it would be the same for the bike – ie either 20ppm OR percentage of overall running cost. I’m also sure you can claim a capital allowance (again proportionately) for your “vehicle.”

Top Bottom