Bike Mileage Allowance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The bikes are not just transport, but essential for fitness training, and as tools for videoing of skater technique. Skates are of course essential for teaching skating, which is why the business bought the lot. Private use of either is probably in the 0.5% region, so I've not bothered to include it.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Working for a large govt dept I get 20p/mile (site to site journeys - not the commute). Works out about a quid for Chancery Lane to Victoria and return. Cheaper and faster than the tube. The bike is a Brompton so no parking troubles.

Downward

Guru
doyler78 said:
Here's a link to a discussion of the topic on the NHS spokes website.

http://www.networks.nhs.uk/networks.php?pid=1170

It contains a list of all the Trusts in England and what rates they offer, if any. Though those not offering at least 6.2p per mile are in breach of their contractual obligations under Agenda for Change to provide this minimum allowance.

I'll check that - Sure some of those figures have changed

ChrisKH

Guru
GrahamG said:
Sorry, missed this. Yes, business mileage only, although I should add that a few companies in the UK do pay for commuting journeys as part of travel planning initiatives, but this is then taxable unlike the reimbursement of expenses through business mileage.

Just to be clear on this all expense payments are taxable (i.e. are P11d entry items) unless your company has a PAYE dispensation in force. Purely academic since you can make a s.198 claim for the business element of any trip entered on your P11d (assuming earnings greater than, what is it, £8,500 p.a.?), however it's important for small companies and owner managed companies to realise that you must get a dispensation otherwise pretty much all expenses must appear on form P11d as taxable. Also, if your company or organisation pays in excess of 20p per mile this excess should appear on form P11d as a benefit and be taxed as such.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
My (civil service) employer pays 20p a mile, but only for cycling in the course of work, not for commuting to my usual office.

I sometimes travel to meetings in other cities or abroad. I claim my 20p for Brompton travel between home and station, station to hotel, hotel to conference centre and so on.

Occasionally I need to go to York. I claim for cycling from home to York, and the only mild query I ever received was easily parried by me pointing out that the 20p a mile was a lot cheaper than driving and claiming car mileage plus parking costs, and the journey was actually quicker by bike.

There is an additional equipment allowance, and one for carrying passengers. I don't know whether these are applicable to cycling mileage, perhaps I should try one day...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm trying to argue the equipment allowance... some days I've got to carry about 10kg of bulky stuff that won't fit into one pannier. At the moment though I'm trying to get them to deliver it through the internal post system.

Top Bottom