Bike Mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evo456

Über Member
Just wondering, is there a magic number the odo needs to hit before people begin thinking about replacing their bikes - much like cars? I've ridden 500 miles in 3 months, and it's beginning show on the bike - nothing near replacement age I know, but at this rate it's wearing down nicely- would like to know other's thoughts on the matter.

billy1561

BB wrecker
That would depend on the bike i would have thought. If it's a cheap bike with cheap components then it would more than likely wear out fairly quickly. Or at least require lots of adjustments to keep it running sweet.
My expensive bike i'm hoping will serve me well mechanically for several thousand miles.
As with any bike though careful maintenance and a bit of tlc goes a long way.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I could be wrong but I read somewhere on here that Halfords consider 12 miles a week heavy usage. Ignore them.

I think longevity might have something to do with care taken. I have a very cheapo single speed that's 'no better than it ought to be' but I keep it clean and degrease / relube the chain once a week. I also have a nice road bike that I probably spend too much time lovingly cleaning, but that's as much about enjoining the engineering of the parts as owt else.

I average about 350 miles a month, mostly on the cheapo single speed.

My point? I've forgotten...

Pauluk

Your bike should last as long as the frame, as you can always replace parts that wear out. BB, wheel hubs, rims, pedals, cogs and cranks can all be replaced so as long as your frames good the bike will last.

As Drago says, it should out last you!

Bit like a car, if the body is good you can always fit a new engine, wheel bearings, gear box etc.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I've done 2500 miles on my new bike in the last 6months. It's just fine. But this is one area where you do get what you pay for, buy a bike with cheap, low quality components and they will not age well. This is why is always best to get the most bike you can afford and pay correct attention to caring for it. As others have said, take care of it and it should last a lifetime.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My Trek 850 covered 3,500 miles offroad in its first five years and since then has covered >44,000 miles as a daily commuter. It's 17 years old now, with plenty of life still left in it. It just depends how well you look after your bike.

GC

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
With good maintenence program your bike should last many years, think of brakepads, gears,chains , tyres etc as replacable parts like you would on a car.
I do around 5000 miles a year , main commuting bike is errrrr 3 years + and its still going strong .

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
As many miles as it takes for me to get bored of the bike or feel like a new one.

With good maintenence program your bike should last many years, think of brakepads, gears,chains , tyres etc as replacable parts like you would on a car.
I do around 5000 miles a year , main commuting bike is errrrr 3 years + and its till going strong .

Also think of rim's as consumables (if running rim brakes)! Many people neglect to acknowledge this! (cyberknight probably included rims in his thoughts and the etc, but thought I would mention it explicitly)

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
4000 miles on my bike - 560miles last month.

Iv upgraded bits on my bike due to me wanting to and nothing else. The only thing iv had to upgraded (due to ware and tear) was the tires and break pads.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As many miles as it takes for me to get bored of the bike or feel like a new one.

Also think of rim's as consumables (if running rim brakes)! Many people neglect to acknowledge this! (cyberknight probably included rims in his thoughts and the etc, but thought I would mention it explicitly)
Yeah ,thats how much my mind can process after night shift ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bikes last a very long time. I'm still using two that are over 20 years old, an MTB that's not much newer, and a 3 year old commuter.

Top Bottom