bike mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imigix

Can anyone please recommend a rear view mirror and supplier please.

I have a hybrid with straight handel bars.

Norm

Bike-Eye if you don't use a rack or large seat bag. They tuck out of the way on the head, rather than at the end of the bars to be knocked every time you lean your bike against a wall.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I had the original Mirrycle (for non aero drops) and it was one of the worst accessories I ever bought. Always coming loose, used a completely non-standard allen key size, and positioning meant most of rear view obscured by rider's body.
Busch & Muller Cycle Star OTH is excellent. I use the drop bar/bar end version, but they do other versions for flat bars.

Good selection (including B&M and Mirrycle) here.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I have a bike eye on both my bikes, I got the last one from Halfords

31pD4TPHREL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

defy-one

I find a look behind focuses a drivers attention far more than through a mirror. Useful if you can't look over your shoulder???

Norm

I find a look behind focuses a drivers attention far more than through a mirror. Useful if you can't look over your shoulder???
Yes, indeed. And I think it was Mickle who first said something which I think is critical.

A mirror doesn't tell me when it is safe to make a manoeuvre, but it might tell me when it is not safe.

Yes, indeed. And I think it was Mickle who first said something which I think is critical.

A mirror doesn't tell me when it is safe to make a manoeuvre, but it might tell me when it is not safe.

I use mirrors on the various recumbents, and found myself missing them when I was on the folders or uprights.

They are essential on recumbents as you cannot dip to one side to see as far behind as you can on an upright.

However you will always have a blind spot, so as above mirrors are an aid but do not replace th efinal check.

defy-one

With recumbents it's a must to have mirrors I would imagine.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I cycled for over 25 years without a mirror. I was finally converted when I fitted one for cycling in Greece. Whereas I agree that nothing beats looking over your shoulder, especially in town, mirrors are great for seeing what's coming from a long way. I can see cars coming a long time before I hear them, and when they do eventually get close, I find it reassuring to see them putting on their indicators and moving out.
The mirror I had last year was a Cat Eye one - and I put it at the bottom of my drop handlebars. Here is a photo I put on my blog:

CIMG2935.JPG

But the trouble with this mirror is that when carrying back paniers, my view behind was blocked. It eventually got ripped off in a train, and so I've bought a new one. It looks like this:

HaseAc27.jpg

You'll find it here
I haven't used it much, yet, but so far I'm very pleased with it. It only vibrates a little bit and gives excellent visibility. It does need to be tightened very hard, though, and although it folds away, it does stick out a bit when I put the bike away in the garage.

top-tube

Über Member
I've got a Zefal mirror spy, and I'm very happy with it. Small unobtrusive mirror, and simple to attach to bike in potentially multiple positions. Took a while for me to get position right, but OK now on bottom of my drops. Stays steady, and not much vibration. No substitute for a look over the shoulder, but I can see traffic coming before it's upon me, and it's given me much more confidence on the road. £10 via Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FY05PG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

potsy

Rambler
I've got a Zefal mirror spy, and I'm very happy with it. Small unobtrusive mirror, and simple to attach to bike in potentially multiple positions. Took a while for me to get position right, but OK now on bottom of my drops. Stays steady, and not much vibration. No substitute for a look over the shoulder, but I can see traffic coming before it's upon me, and it's given me much more confidence on the road. £10 via Amazon.

Got the same one and really like it, even bought another so I didn't have to keep swapping between bikes (kept forgetting)
Bike-eye was Ok but only gives a view when your leg is not in the way, or you have no saddle bag/panier.

david k

Hi

looks good, were abouts do you attach it to your drops?

Licramite

Über Member
bike eye on my bike - its ok, takes a bit of getting used to, you have to stop pedalling and cock your leg to see, its good for long shots, to check before you hear something but its limited.

Top Bottom