Bike mugging, insurance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I've been reading of people being mugged for their bikes recently.
I've been looking at policies for insuring my bike, there's lots if talk of them not paying if the bike isn't locked to an immovable object, so do insurance companies refuse to pay if you're mugged for your bike?

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've been looking at policies for insuring my bike, there's lots if talk of them not paying if the bike isn't locked to an immovable object, so do insurance companies refuse to pay if you're mugged for your bike?
I would think if it's an assault and theft (and reported to the Police) they may pay out.
I think you'd need to check the small print or ring them up and ask before you decide.

400bhp

Guru

It's going to depend on your particular insurer. Does your policy (in the applicable part covering your bikes )not say something like (in the what's covered bit) "unless it's in your possession"? If it does then you're covered.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
It's going to depend on your particular insurer. Does your policy (in the applicable part covering your bikes )not say something like (in the what's covered bit) "unless it's in your possession"? If it does then you're covered.

I haven't got a policy at the minute, I was looking at CycleGuard's policy earlier.
They say they won't cover losses if the bike isn't locked to an immovable object with an approved lock, but obviously a bike is not going to be locked if you're riding it or waiting to get a train with it.

400bhp

Guru
I haven't got a policy at the minute, I was looking at CycleGuard's policy earlier.
They say they won't cover losses if the bike isn't locked to an immovable object with an approved lock, but obviously a bike is not going to be locked if you're riding it or waiting to get a train with it.

JUst spent a few minutes looking at their policy schedule. The key part is section 3.2 (a) so that reads (to me) it's covered when you are with the bike and it's taken from you.:

3.2 Security requirements where the Bicycle is away from the Insured Location Accidental Damage or Theft of the Bicycle whilst away from the Insured Location shall only be covered in circumstances where: a) the Bicycle is not left Unattended; or b) the Bicycle is left Unattended, but secured to an Immovable Object by an Approved Lock through the frame and c) any access to the Bicycle is effected by Forcible and/or Violent Entry. d) the Bicycle is not left in situ awaiting use during an organised competitive triathlon or duathlon event for more than 24 hours when the required additional Active Premium has been paid and the cover is shown on Your Insuranc

The definition of Unattended is:

1.32 Unattended - means whilst the Bicycle is not being used or held by You or an adult who is entrusted with its safe keeping

The policy wording is really poorly written.

classic33

Leg End Member
1.31 Theft - means the unauthorised dishonest appropriation or attempted appropriation of the Bicycle specified on Your Insurance Schedule, by another person with the intention of permanently depriving You of it
But seems they can work round it if you entrust it to someone else, the guard on the train for instance.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm always very specific with insurance. I write out a list of questions I want to ask about what's covered and for what. I learnt this by accident once. I claimed for accidental damage to laptop but apparently I hadn't ticked the right box so they wouldn't pay. I pointed out that I'd made notes on the form stating that I wanted my laptop covered for accidental damage. A solicitor agreed to take the case and the insurance company paid up.

My home contents insurance covers my bikes for their full value if they're taken from the shed if the shed is locked, stolen when locked to an immovable object away from home or taken from my possession i.e. if I pushed off my bike and it's stolen or it's snatched from me in the street.

Funny enough i phoned eta insurance with a few questions yesterday as i never leave my bike unattended and i didn't want to carry a heavy bike lock.They were really helpful and said that if someone snatched the bike from you while in your position ie mugging you would be covered.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Bit off topic but still on bike insurance ... While reading through my policy once, I noticed they pay out if I lose a limb, but not if I lose the use of a limb. So basically I could be left with no bike and a useless limb. Wonder if they pay out for voluntary amputation... ?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
1.31 Theft - means the unauthorised dishonest appropriation or attempted appropriation of the Bicycle specified on Your Insurance Schedule, by another person with the intention of permanently depriving You of it
But seems they can work round it if you entrust it to someone else, the guard on the train for instance.

+1 train operating companies generally have rules against locking a bicycle to any part of the train, also some train bicycle storage areas are in a part of the train not generally accessible by anyone but the guard/train manager.

classic33

Leg End Member
+1 train operating companies generally have rules against locking a bicycle to any part of the train, also some train bicycle storage areas are in a part of the train not generally accessible by anyone but the guard/train manager.
That would be where the "entrusting your bike to someone else" could come into it.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I didn't know that! I always try to lock my bike when I'm on the train, otherwise I stress that someone is making off with it every time the train stops!

Top Bottom