Bike on holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I am going on holiday in June and will be taking the MTB.
We will be staying on a caravan park and our caravan is right next to sand dunes and the beach.
I intend to be out cycling in a local forest which runs alongside the beach.
Do you think the sand blowing about will be an issue for the bike?
I don't want sand in the works! :ohmy:

Am I worrying for nothing?

buggi

Bird Saviour
try this, I've got one, it should do the job, its big enough to use as a throw over, or you can open it and put the bag inside. .
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-plastic-bike-bag/

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Useful, but I'm more worried about riding near the sand etc incase the bike gets damaged with sand grinding in the parts.
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly :rolleyes: (nothing new there then!)

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
If ur worried about it being stored in a sandy environment when not riding, tape a carrier bag over the mechs and bb with insulating tape and get one of those el cheapo Argos bike rain covers.

If ur riding near / in sand it's gonna get sandy just get it serviced and cleaned after enjoy the riding.

Actually if you degrease the drivetrain and re lube with some dry Teflon lube or wax lube, that should stop it picking up too much of the beach.

Enjoy the hols, sounds good!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Shouldn't be any worse for it than mud, and as it is a good quality MTB it will be designed to withstand a certain amount of abuse! As above; a rinse and re-lube will sort it. Enjoy the holiday :thumbsup:.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Useful, but I'm more worried about riding near the sand etc incase the bike gets damaged with sand grinding in the parts.
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly :rolleyes: (nothing new there then!)
I'd be tempted to fit a new chain for this holiday then removing it and refitting the old chain upon return. The reasons for this are twofold, 1 Any more wear on the old chain due to sand may well push it over its limit and cause sprocket damage whereas the new chain can stand this wear and 2 After removing the new chain it can be given a thorough degease and clean then be immersed in (chainsaw) oil for a couple of days then wiped clean so it is a pre-worn stretched chain for when you wear out the original avoiding the "I've fitted a new chain but it jumps on the rear sprockets" type of post^_^
One other bit of advice avoid cycling on soft sand/dunes I tried this once and had a whale of a time falling off and it not hurting til I fell on top of the bike and the pedal took a chunk out of my calf and I faceplanted into the bars, forks and front wheel:cry:

byegad

Legendary Member
I rode over the wet and sandy causeway to Holy Island (Lindisfarne) one Easter and it took me six hours at home to get rid of sand from the Kettwiesel and even now some 4 years later I find the odd granule in strange places, including last year finding a few grains in the bottom bracket grease when I replaced the old one. By all means ride near sand* but try to avoid riding in soft dry sand or at any kind of speed on wet firm sand if you can. Be prepared for some daily wiping of chain and sprockets front and back and a thorough clean after your holiday.

* A bike is a tool for enjoying, not a jewel needing cosseting after all.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'd be tempted to fit a new chain for this holiday then removing it and refitting the old chain upon return. The reasons for this are twofold, 1 Any more wear on the old chain due to sand may well push it over its limit and cause sprocket damage whereas the new chain can stand this wear and 2 After removing the new chain it can be given a thorough degease and clean then be immersed in (chainsaw) oil for a couple of days then wiped clean so it is a pre-worn stretched chain for when you wear out the original avoiding the "I've fitted a new chain but it jumps on the rear sprockets" type of post^_^
One other bit of advice avoid cycling on soft sand/dunes I tried this once and had a whale of a time falling off and it not hurting til I fell on top of the bike and the pedal took a chunk out of my calf and I faceplanted into the bars, forks and front wheel:cry:
It is a new chain.
I don't intend to ride on the sand but as it's the coast I'm expecting sand to be blowing about!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It is a new chain.
I don't intend to ride on the sand but as it's the coast I'm expecting sand to be blowing about!
It's the spindrift getting onto the roads/tracks that gets spat up by your front wheel onto the chain that is the problem especially on chunky MTB tyres. I went to a similar sounding area i.e. campsite behind dunes with a pine forest next to the site at Wells next the Sea but that also has a mile straight to the town which, when I was cycling it to the pub, a car overtook me peppering me with sand although the road looked pretty clear. Luckily I had the "Bans" on:becool: so none in my eyes but it made me realise just how much was about.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
It's the spindrift getting onto the roads/tracks that gets spat up by your front wheel onto the chain that is the problem especially on chunky MTB tyres. I went to a similar sounding area i.e. campsite behind dunes with a pine forest next to the site at Wells next the Sea but that also has a mile straight to the town which, when I was cycling it to the pub, a car overtook me peppering me with sand although the road looked pretty clear. Luckily I had the "Bans" on:becool: so none in my eyes but it made me realise just how much was about.
Yeah. I did think about leaving it at home and hiring one up there but I know my bike and it's set up for me....decisions, decisions!

byegad

Legendary Member
It's your bike so your choice. I'd take it and clean it lightly after each ride. Then strip and clean as necessary at home.

surfdude

Veteran
living down here i do a lot of riding near beaches and am always getting sand on the bike . its no problem as long as you give her a good clean down after each ride and lube her up as well . as someone else said you have a good bike that's been designed to get muddy and take a bit of abuse every now and then . enjoy the rides

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Thanks all.
Decision made....I'm taking the bike - it's a half decent MTB and as far as I know we'll be taking the van to get to the forest, so I won't be cycling on sandy roads.
I'll take my wash gear and give her a good wash down and lube after each ride (as I do at home) and an extra good look over and clean once home.
I use a good dry lube so I reckon that should help.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yeah. I did think about leaving it at home and hiring one up there but I know my bike and it's set up for me....decisions, decisions!
I'd be real cheesed off if I found that all they had for hire was BSO's that can't do a fraction of what my "weapon of choice" could (there's 11 in the sheds 2 of which "She who must be cooked for" ( gave up long ago on the obeyed) uses and one that is my next project:whistle: ).

Top Bottom