I don't think I know what I'm doing on the bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm starting to think that maybe I'm not riding as intended. OR I should have got a cassette/chain ring with higher gears.

I've started to do my rides in the largest chainring. But regardless,on the flat I'm still needing the highest gears. Maybe I'm getting fitter or my legs are getting stronger or both?

I would think the normal progression is higher gears ? I'm still a novice in respect of my understanding of gearing etc.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm starting to think that maybe I'm not riding as intended. OR I should have got a cassette/chain ring with higher gears.

I've started to do my rides in the largest chainring. But regardless,on the flat I'm still needing the highest gears. Maybe I'm getting fitter or my legs are getting stronger or both?

I would think the normal progression is higher gears ? I'm still a novice in respect of my understanding of gearing etc.

What ratios do you have (chainring and cassette)?

It is hard t respond to this without knowing at a minimum what your large ring and smallest sprocket are.

What ratios do you have (chainring and cassette)?

It is hard t respond to this without knowing at a minimum what your large ring and smallest sprocket are.
I know I have 11/32 cassette. Of the 2 chainrings I would have to count the teeth on them and report back here.
Are you enjoying riding?

If yes, just carry on and don't worry about it. If not, change things!
I'm enjoying riding more now than previous years. I got this (winter bike) in Oct 2017

I'm not one for burying my head in the sand if I can improve things. Thus, if I find out that higher gearing is better for me I will upgrade.

The problem is I don't understand much about gears. I'm thinking, what about the hills if I fit higher gears.

Alex321

Veteran
I know I have 11/32 cassette. Of the 2 chainrings I would have to count the teeth on them and report back here.

I'm enjoying riding more now than previous years. I got this (winter bike) in Oct 2017

I'm not one for burying my head in the sand if I can improve things. Thus, if I find out that higher gearing is better for me I will upgrade.

The problem is I don't understand much about gears. I'm thinking, what about the hills if I fit higher gears.

If you have an 11-32 cassette, then unless your larger chainring is only about 46 or lower, you shouldn't be needing the highest gears on the flat.

Very few cassettes have a 10 tooth sprocket nowadays.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I has just struck me that you might be using the big ring with the biggest sprocket at the back, in which case I finally understand why you are obsessed with getting a bigger big ring!

To go faster for a particular pedalling cadence use bigger at the front with smaller at the back. To go up steep hills use smaller at the front and bigger at the back. For moderate hills or slower riding, use either the big or small ring at the front and adjust your choice at the back accordingly.

There's no mystery about gears you just need to read up.

I read Richards Bicycle Book cover to cover as a kid. Explained it well.

I think I have the smallest chainrings I've ever had in 40 plus years of cycling and I'm going faster than ever before.

Bigger chainrings probably aren't the answer.

Alex321

Veteran
The normal progression is managing a higher cadence not higher gears imho.

A good point. The OP doesn't say what sort of cadence they are riding at.

When you first start, 60rpm seems high, but once you get used to it, you are likely to ride at much higher cadence - I normally average around 80 over the course of a ride nowadays.

I has just struck me that you might be using the big ring with the biggest sprocket at the back, in which case I finally understand why you are obsessed with getting a bigger big ring!

To go faster for a particular pedalling cadence use bigger at the front with smaller at the back. To go up steep hills use smaller at the front and bigger at the back. For moderate hills or slower riding, use either the big or small ring at the front and adjust your choice at the back accordingly.
That is what I am almost doing. Maybe the smallest at back or next to smallest.

I guess that going down hill I will feel the gears are not high enough if I am going for it head down?

Downhill you can certainly run out of gears. I find that happens at around 35mph, with a 50T chainring, 11T sprocket, doing around 100rpm.

I checked the large chainring last night (Wednesday). I put some tipex on one of the teeth for acuracy. Counting every tooth there were exactly 50 teeth. So having the 11/32 cassette you are spot on.

Last edited:
I checked the large chainring last night (Wednesday). I put some tipex on one of the teeth for acuracy. Counting every tooth there were exactly 50 teeth. So having the 11/32 cassette you are spit on.

They usually stamp the number of teeth on the side of the chainring.

Top Bottom