You're doing it wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Another gem from FB muppetplace..

1694275435013.jpeg

:blink:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Arguably the shifting could almost work; however the brakes - I can't even... 🙄

Should be able to knock a lot off the asking price for the expense of putting that right.

Sharky

Guru
Brakes like that are not entirely wrong, although in this example, it's not been thought through properly. I don't see how you could hold the bars on the drops without interference from the rest of the bar.

But back in the dark ages, I did something similar and have just pulled them out of the shed to take a photo.

IMG_20230909_175752.jpg

IMG_20230909_175805.jpg

The bars are replicas of the ones Moser used to break the hour record with 51.151 km's. You can see through the heavily scratched bars, the logo 51.151.

The brake had to be in that position and reversed to give sufficient pull.

You'll notice only one brake, as I was riding a Mercian fixed at the time.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

If the owners happy 😊
Well, can't be that happy since they're at least trying to flog it :tongue:

Blimey, and

View attachment 705835 I thought my set up looks odd.
Well, it does... but I can see how that would work if it's your bag. Unlike the example above!

Still, its easy to correct !
Perhaps.. although who knows what's gone on with the cabling. The bars haven't just been flipped in the stem but apparently rotated in the horizontal plane.. so worst case you might have to re-cable and re-wrap it. Given the state of the bars who knows to what quality this "work" has been carried out / what horrors one might encounter when seeking to put it right.

Brakes like that are not entirely wrong, although in this example, it's not been thought through properly. I don't see how you could hold the bars on the drops without interference from the rest of the bar.

But back in the dark ages, I did something similar and have just pulled them out of the shed to take a photo.

View attachment 705869

View attachment 705868

The bars are replicas of the ones Moser used to break the hour record with 51.151 km's. You can see through the heavily scratched bars, the logo 51.151.

The brake had to be in that position and reversed to give sufficient pull.

You'll notice only one brake, as I was riding a Mercian fixed at the time.
Cool - as per @Tail End Charlie's post I can see how these would work; unlike those in the OP!

Is that a Wood's valve on the rear?
Dunno; I'm more concerned by the mess at the front :tongue:

Sharky

Guru
Cool - as per @Tail End Charlie's post I can see how these would work; unlike those in the OP!

This how I had them, on 8/5/94, on the E82/50 - did a 2:16:03

This copy was the "entertainment" of my daughter. Dont worry, I have a better copy somewhere on the computer.
You can just make out the RH brake lever.
Torn Photo.jpg

Can't believe this was 29 years ago - where does time go?

Top Bottom