What do you think will happen to the UK bike retail industry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Being in the UK recently I was able to visit a few retailers to buy a few things and get an idea of how they were doing.
It wasn't a very hopeful scene.
I visited Evans, J E James and Halfords, all in Sheffield.
While James had a few customers while I was there the other sites were very quiet. I was in Evans in a Saturday which should be their busiest day and just one other person was there besides me. The shop was stocked to the ceiling and offers abounded but it seems no one was buying. Halfords was very quiet too and nobody looking at bikes besides me.
So can the industry ride out this hiatus and survive or will more retailers and distributors go to the wall or will the way bikes are sold radically change.
What do you think?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This time of year is always very quiet for adult bike sales.
I was told this by a couple of bike retailers in pre-Covid times.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My guess is that bike shops will follow the path of tool shops.....relocate to the internet or close. I'm not sure where people will go to get their bikes fixed/serviced.

My guess is that bike shops will follow the path of tool shops.....relocate to the internet or close. I'm not sure where people will go to get their bikes fixed/serviced.

2 shops near me already have a strong internet prescence, and one of them has partnered with 2 finance companies (Paypal and Deko) to give plenty of buy now pay later choice.
The cost of living crisis here is very serious and has affected everyone in one way or another.
Shopping habits have changed and there's much more online shopping now.
I think people will hang onto their bikes for longer without updating them.

My electric bike now is only getting replaced when either the motor or battery dies as there are better more efficient types available.

My shopping habits haven't necessarily gone more online recently, I've always done a lot online, but I have started visiting second hand charity shops a lot more and buying clothes, furniture, anything they have I need really. I can't justify paying new prices for a lot of stuff especially when the stuff in those stores is like new anyway.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Every time I go into a bike shop in Denmark, there are always a few people in there. It is obvious that the market has really moved over to e bikes. All the guys in the shops tell me that e bikes are the biggest seller. Perhaps because most Danes cycle and the fact that the shops have embraced e bikes will mean the bike industry in Denmark will keep going.

I wouldn't be surprised if internet ordering becomes even more popular. Whilst I like the convenience of being able to pick something up there and then and pay cash, being able to browse a catalogue in my own time and find out whether the item I need is in stock or not without having to go anywhere tends to outweigh that.

As for the sale of bikes, I've no idea. I've just ordered my new e-bike from JE James online for delivery, even though they are quite local (I tend to be out at awkward times so this seemed more convenient). My Specialized Allez which I got way back in 2010 I ordered from Evans, and had delivered by HDNL (remember them?).

I personally have no issue with buying bikes online as I know what I'm buying and can set them up and maintain them myself. I would not, however, recommend it for anyone who doesn't have much knowledge of bike parts or maintenance, or who doesn't want to learn.

gbb

Legendary Member
I do believe, as I've watched social media over the last few years, the amount of negative comments and posts there are regarding cyclists are huge. Thus must have an impact on some people who are thinking about cycling.
I see it within friends and even family...a scenario is shown on social media between a cyclist and driver or pedestrian with no context...and a large amount of people will kneejerk blame the cyclist.
its kinda scary there's so much almost hatred toward 'us'

Road CC did a podcast on this. During lockdown it was difficult for suppliers to get kit. For one reason or another shops/suppliers over ordered so they wouldn't be short of stock - at the time demand was booming everyone wanted a bike. But as people got back into cars and went to restaurants instead of cycling the demand dropped of - but the shops had to take the stuff they had ordered...so right now there is a massive surplus of stock - and retailers have cash flow problems.

Throw in cost of living and a looming recession and you have a perfect storm of tough trading conditions.

Obviously some shops won't survive. The ones that can adapt will.

One guy buy me closed his shop and now has a van fully fitted out a repair workshop - he's not cheap and is always busy (damm fine mechanic though)

That's fine for the old bikes and a nice day in the summer ,today a good selection of tools cost a bob or two. Lots of niche tools required for different makes of bikes ,no standard fittings any more.
Exactly. I have a garage but its grim and I wouldn't want to spend hours in there wrestling with some obscure thing. I've always viewed repairs and maintanence that if its cheaper (in terms of the cost of my time struggling to do something) to pay someone to do it, I will.

This place isn't local to me, but there are direct trains there and back so I want to try them for my next service: The Bikes College Leeds as some friends recommended them.

Top Bottom