What do you think will happen to the UK bike retail industry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Every time I go into a bike shop in Denmark, there are always a few people in there. It is obvious that the market has really moved over to e bikes. All the guys in the shops tell me that e bikes are the biggest seller. Perhaps because most Danes cycle and the fact that the shops have embraced e bikes will mean the bike industry in Denmark will keep going.

Pretty annoying when you spy a bike shop and it's wall to wall e bikes!!

The multiples are quick to shed unprofitables branches or even liquidate.
The local bike shops will struggle on, supporting cyclists, until good times come around again and the multiples sprout.

Jotheboat

My local bike shop is doing well I think. In fact, they are moving to better-located premises soon.
I like the personal touch (if you get my meaning). Mine is quite a techy bike and I'm glad of someone to make sure it's all set up right.
They have a 'brew' area where customers can have a chat. They promote the occasional evening where they offer maintenance instruction.
Yes, things are a bit more expensive. A recent ground anchor was about £15 more than internet. It meant my wife had to wait a week for her new slippers but I'm happy to support local business as long as I can afford it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tricky time, and I agree with what's written above. My buying habits haven't changed, although back to 5 bikes this year (second hand purchase) led to some extra shoes and tyres, and also refubishing my old MTB meant I built a nice set of wheels for it based on vintage hubs.

The Wiggle issue is really going to mess up the market.

Alex321

Veteran
Why? There's money to be made from them.
E-scooters already have the plate requirement. Even seen my first fully legal e-scooter on the road, centre of Leeds. Number plate*, yellow, at the rear, with the rider wearing a full face helmet.

The practicalities of it can be covered at the time of purchase. They've done it for years with tellies. Details taken at the time of purchase.

Involve the local councils in it and they'd be happy to make money from it.

*A5? size 23 plate.

If they started when e-assist bikes first became legal, yes.

It is the finding and registering all the ones already sold that is the big issue. And finding a way to attach number plates to those, which were not designed to take them.

We are now an overweight and lazy society, why kill yourself pedalling when an electric motor will do it for you.

IMO E-bikes will replace regular commuter and leisure bikes over the next few years

I personally don't think its a clear cut as that. I think for some they will have a normal bike and ebike and have uses for both plus some will use an ebike to get back into cycling and then continue with a normal bike when fitter. The reason I write that is crime is getting much worse and there doesn't seem the appetite to punish criminals especially repeat criminals. Ebikes are high value items and unfortunately in many areas you can't safely use them due to a high risk of theft when left outside shops etc. You have to think about their security a lot of the time.

The only bikes that seem to be immune from theft is the old beater bikes where the thief isn't going to get £20 for a hit because the bike is too low value. As ever the rule is never to have the nicest bike in the bike rack.

So I feel for many ebikes will be their entry back into cycling but may not be practical for general use because of the high risk of theft but of course this will vary depending on circumstances.

Jotheboat

Not at all. Its keeping the bike trade goiñg. Im mainland europe, every bike shop is like that. The UK has not caught up yet.

Not being a real aficionado, I tend to agree with this. I lived in The Netherlands for a couple of years in the late 2000s and there were loads of e-bikes around then.
After all, with an e-bike you can dial the assistance up or down as required.
When I bought, much of my riding was on a higher assist setting but gradually, I've wound it back a bit.
Due to a complaint, I'm not physically able to ride a standard bike to any sort of standard, so e-bikes have been a boon for me.

To a certain extent the internet side has gobbled itself up especially with the large corps finally realising they can't keep shovelling money in to a sector that can't make a profit; will be a big readjustment with more casualties

As a long running abs we are doing ok and bucking the trend (at the moment!) ;we've just taken on a big brand for bikes and are selling them consistently although mostly on cycle schemes these days with hits the profit margin and the workshop is also busy and a solid web shop.

Greasy Gilbert

I know nothing so feel free to contradict me.
Being in the UK recently I was able to visit a few retailers to buy a few things and get an idea of how they were doing.
It wasn't a very hopeful scene.
I visited Evans, J E James and Halfords, all in Sheffield.
While James had a few customers while I was there the other sites were very quiet. I was in Evans in a Saturday which should be their busiest day and just one other person was there besides me. The shop was stocked to the ceiling and offers abounded but it seems no one was buying. Halfords was very quiet too and nobody looking at bikes besides me.
So can the industry ride out this hiatus and survive or will more retailers and distributors go to the wall or will the way bikes are sold radically change.
What do you think?
We visited Evans Sheffield yesterday and it was the same, loads of stuff but no customers. It's a shame. I'm not sure what the industry can do about it.
We all need to look at ourselves when we complain about shops closing because we've caused the problem. We all want things quicker, cheaper and delivered to our feet.
If this is worth anything, I'll always go to a bike shop if I can, rather than buy online.
If you have a good bike shop nearby, cherish it.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
We visited Evans Sheffield yesterday and it was the same, loads of stuff but no customers. It's a shame. I'm not sure what the industry can do about it.
We all need to look at ourselves when we complain about shops closing because we've caused the problem. We all want things quicker, cheaper and delivered to our feet.
If this is worth anything, I'll always go to a bike shop if I can, rather than buy online.
If you have a good bike shop nearby, cherish it.

A lot of bricks and mortar bike shops do online as well, so you cant always judge what's happening just by going in. I went in a big bike shop yesterday and I was the only person in there. Also some online bike retailers are not doing that great as well. I think the overall economic climate is probably the main issue at the moment.

Greasy Gilbert

I know nothing so feel free to contradict me.
A lot of bricks and mortar bike shops do online as well, so you cant always judge what's happening just by going in. I went in a big bike shop yesterday and I was the only person in there. Also some online bike retailers are not doing that great as well. I think the overall economic climate is probably the main issue at the moment.

I don't doubt a word you say.
Often, the only real indicator of a bike shop struggling is when you visit one and its no longer there.

Do you think that part of the problem may be that the role of a bicycle has changed?
In the dim and distant past, when the bike was considered a form of affordable transport, and cars were out of reach for many, bike shops thrived because they were a necessity.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No @Greasy Gilbert the reason that the big shops like Evans are struggling is the well known surge in sales over COVID. This is separate to the problems faced by small independent bike shops.
The surge created supply problems and when that was overcome retailers continued to order stock at the same level leading to overstocking when demand fell away due to rises cost of living and recession. That's why distributors have gone to wall and manufacturers have seen a downturn in sales.

Top Bottom