What do you think will happen to the UK bike retail industry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
It’s the start of winter, the shop is always dead at the start of winter. We had about five people through the shop yesterday and one was only killing time until his appointment at his doctor next door. It’s just like last year. There will be a surge just before Christmas for obvious reasons and then it will be dead until march, just like previous years.

Then the squirrels come out of the woodwork and the place goes nuts!

Just like every year.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I do believe, as I've watched social media over the last few years, the amount of negative comments and posts there are regarding cyclists are huge. Thus must have an impact on some people who are thinking about cycling.
I see it within friends and even family...a scenario is shown on social media between a cyclist and driver or pedestrian with no context...and a large amount of people will kneejerk blame the cyclist.
its kinda scary there's so much almost hatred toward 'us'

I think this is 80% of the reason my cycling has dwindled away to a handful of rides this year. Traffic just keeps on increasing and the impatience and aggression from drivers just seems to be getting worse. If our local Facebook page ever happens to mention cyclists there is the usual vitriol from nearly everyone who comments. I think it has just about put me off. My Wattbike can’t be delivered soon enough and I will try and enjoy virtual cycling instead.

D

Deleted member 121159

A few thoughts:

-My colleague went to a bike shop to fix a puncture, got charged £20. I don't have loads of spare cash at the end of the month, and I wouldn't be cycling if I got a shop to do all the maintenance/repairs on my bike. I do most everything: changing wearble parts, setting up tubeless tyres, bleeding brakes, changing bearings, etc. It's always cheaper to buy tools and do the job yourself. If it goes wrong, then it's still cheaper to buy a new part and try again. And I'll probably get it right the second time. Obviously I'll also look for the cheapest place online to buy parts and tools. I'd be a chump if I paid the full RRP which is what my local shop charges. Who does that, on anything not just bikes??

-I don't want to 'build a relationship' with a shop. The idea that you have to have a personal relationship with a shop to receive good service is ridiculous and obsolete in 2023. I want to know exactly what I'm getting for what I'm paying, not hoping for better pricing and service because I know the owner. If they're going to be vague about it, forget it, I'll buy the frame facing tool on ebay and do it myself. You don't have to have a PhD in mechanical engineering to fix a bike.

-I think the only type of physical shops that are likely to survive in the future are ones that offer some sort of excitement and 'experience'. If a bike shop just literally sells bike stuff, what's the fun in that? You can look at pictures and videos online and find out all about them. What does going to a bike shop offer that online shops and platforms can't? Nothing, except you pay more for less and walk out feeling like a chump. They make active efforts to make you feel like you don't want to return.

-I don't think anyone needs to worry about who's going to fix bikes if shops go under. Don't worry, that's a gap in the market, and someone will come to fill it. Hopefully something better than bike shops. They are boring and expensive. No one wants that.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I do believe, as I've watched social media over the last few years, the amount of negative comments and posts there are regarding cyclists are huge. Thus must have an impact on some people who are thinking about cycling.
I see it within friends and even family...a scenario is shown on social media between a cyclist and driver or pedestrian with no context...and a large amount of people will kneejerk blame the cyclist.
its kinda scary there's so much almost hatred toward 'us'

Its true, Its because of "difference", pure jealousy and thoughts about cyclists getting away with not paying road tax etc? People still don't seem to be able to get their head around the roads being paid for out of general taxation for some reason?
People can get away with very negative comments towards cyclists, whereas if it was another minority they wouldn't. There's a lot of very small mindedness in the U.K.

I think this is 80% of the reason my cycling has dwindled away to a handful of rides this year. Traffic just keeps on increasing and the impatience and aggression from drivers just seems to be getting worse. If our local Facebook page ever happens to mention cyclists there is the usual vitriol from nearly everyone who comments. I think it has just about put me off. My Wattbike can’t be delivered soon enough and I will try and enjoy virtual cycling instead.

But that's a social media issue.

It's where people vent there frustrations- it's not real life. If something is getting your goat you jump on FB and post about - and whilst your posting you might as well up the ante to make sure your post/comments get noticed.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A few thoughts:

-My colleague went to a bike shop to fix a puncture, got charged £20. I don't have loads of spare cash at the end of the month, and I wouldn't be cycling if I got a shop to do all the maintenance/repairs on my bike. I do most everything: changing wearble parts, setting up tubeless tyres, bleeding brakes, changing bearings, etc. It's always cheaper to buy tools and do the job yourself. If it goes wrong, then it's still cheaper to buy a new part and try again. And I'll probably get it right the second time. Obviously I'll also look for the cheapest place online to buy parts and tools. I'd be a chump if I paid the full RRP which is what my local shop charges. Who does that, on anything not just bikes??

-I don't want to 'build a relationship' with a shop. The idea that you have to have a personal relationship with a shop to receive good service is ridiculous and obsolete in 2023. I want to know exactly what I'm getting for what I'm paying, not hoping for better pricing and service because I know the owner. If they're going to be vague about it, forget it, I'll buy the frame facing tool on ebay and do it myself. You don't have to have a PhD in mechanical engineering to fix a bike.

-I think the only type of physical shops that are likely to survive in the future are ones that offer some sort of excitement and 'experience'. If a bike shop just literally sells bike stuff, what's the fun in that? You can look at pictures and videos online and find out all about them. What does going to a bike shop offer that online shops and platforms can't? Nothing, except you pay more for less and walk out feeling like a chump. They make active efforts to make you feel like you don't want to return.

-I don't think anyone needs to worry about who's going to fix bikes if shops go under. Don't worry, that's a gap in the market, and someone will come to fill it. Hopefully something better than bike shops. They are boring and expensive. No one wants that.

Agreed.

I was in a big local bike shop today to buy a small tool. They had the tool, I paid my £8 and left. Perfect for me.

Why didn't I browse? The staff members were all blokey blokes. Off putting unless you happen to be a blokey bloke.
The bikes were in rows - no chance to see them side on, to sit on them or just properly look at them without engaging with a salesbloke.

From what I could see there was a choice of about a million MTBS, a handful of roadbikes and some ebikes largely from one or two manufacturers.

I asked what steel bikes they had. "Nobody buys them anymore."

I may go back when I need an inner tube in a hurry.

I think when you look at the numbers covid was just a blip and the cycle market has returned to exactly where you would expect it to be if Covid hadn't happened however the issue is too much stock was ordered so there is more stock swilling about than needed and to get rid of stock there is obvious discounting but this also lowers people's expectations on what they need to pay later. It's just going to be a rough period until it stabilises. There is also an obvious issue with the UK economy which has run a trade deficit for decades, sold assets and paid huge sums to the EU and borrowed huge sums to prop up its economy. We now have a staggering level of debt and no competent politicians to take charge of the economy in the same way as post WW2. We have become economically illterate as a nation. So until we work towards restoring a trade surplus and living within our means things will only get worse. It feels like we will hit rock bottom before we come to our senses. The point is disposable incomes will keep dropping as people get poorer. There will be less to spend on cycling and yet when you think about it, the most damaging import to the UK is motor vehicles because of their high cost. If people could stop importing £30-50k cars the UK economy would massively improve very quickly. Then there would be more money for cycling.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think when you look at the numbers covid was just a blip and the cycle market has returned to exactly where you would expect it to be if Covid hadn't happened however the issue is too much stock was ordered so there is more stock swilling about than needed and to get rid of stock there is obvious discounting but this also lowers people's expectations on what they need to pay later. It's just going to be a rough period until it stabilises. There is also an obvious issue with the UK economy which has run a trade deficit for decades, sold assets and paid huge sums to the EU and borrowed huge sums to prop up its economy. We now have a staggering level of debt and no competent politicians to take charge of the economy in the same way as post WW2. We have become economically illterate as a nation. So until we work towards restoring a trade surplus and living within our means things will only get worse. It feels like we will hit rock bottom before we come to our senses. The point is disposable incomes will keep dropping as people get poorer. There will be less to spend on cycling and yet when you think about it, the most damaging import to the UK is motor vehicles because of their high cost. If people could stop importing £30-50k cars the UK economy would massively improve very quickly. Then there would be more money for cycling.

If we had better cycling infrastructure (which would require investment from taxation) many people could exchange their £20k car for a £1k ebike; they would become healthier and reduce demand on the NHS.

But that's not going to happen here. We are too wedded to our extravagant cars.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I think in a few years e-bikes will be the new normal for mass market folk wanting a hybrid commuter or workhorse. Those of us not wanting batteries ( yet) will be niche and directed to sports bikes or similar. The only other category will be children served by the big retailers. If I was running a mainstream shop I’d be focusing on e-bikes.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think in a few years e-bikes will be the new normal for mass market folk wanting a hybrid commuter or workhorse. Those of us not wanting batteries ( yet) will be niche and directed to sports bikes or similar. The only other category will be children served by the big retailers. If I was running a mainstream shop I’d be focusing on e-bikes.
2025 will see the no VED payable end for electric vehicles. I can see e-assist bikes falling under that change.

Alex321

Veteran
2025 will see the no VED payable end for electric vehicles. I can see e-assist bikes falling under that change.

No chance.

Not because the government think they shouldn't, but because of the practicalities involved in registering all the ones already out there, including finding a way to fit a readily visible number plate.

It would cost a fair bit more to implement than the returns.

Gunk

Guru

I haven’t ridden much this year, a mixture of a lousy summer, lack of time and busy with other stuff, but I will drift back to it, I always do.

classic33

Leg End Member
No chance.

Not because the government think they shouldn't, but because of the practicalities involved in registering all the ones already out there, including finding a way to fit a readily visible number plate.

It would cost a fair bit more to implement than the returns.
Why? There's money to be made from them.
E-scooters already have the plate requirement. Even seen my first fully legal e-scooter on the road, centre of Leeds. Number plate*, yellow, at the rear, with the rider wearing a full face helmet.

The practicalities of it can be covered at the time of purchase. They've done it for years with tellies. Details taken at the time of purchase.

Involve the local councils in it and they'd be happy to make money from it.

*A5? size 23 plate.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That's fine for the old bikes and a nice day in the summer ,today a good selection of tools cost a bob or two. Lots of niche tools required for different makes of bikes ,no standard fittings any more.
My bikes, all bespoke, all use 'standard' parts & tools. I do all my own maintenance - it's not particularly time-consuming and I know the job's done properly.
I buy some consumables online, but clothing always from a physical shop.
I suppose I'm lucky in having good shops not far away.

Top Bottom