Bike on train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

Anytime, I need to take my bike on the train, I always book this in the travel centre at the main station (Glasgow Central in my case) and they give me my tickets and cycle reservation tickets at the same time. However, is there also a main number I can phone for the option of booking either online or by phone?

Thanks in advance for your help.

J

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Virgin East Coast will allow you to book tickets and cycle reservation tickets at the same time http://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/

I'm not sure about telephone booking because it's been so long since I used it.

Not all services allow cycle reservations. One summary is http://www.atob.org.uk/bike-rail/uk-bike-rail-restrictions/

furbo

I think you were right the first time.
Rail companies vary in their rules and arrangements so I find it easier to book it all at the ticket office where they confirm and print everything out for you.
In the past I have made an online booking and then found out later that no bike space was available

Slick

Guru
I've never tried it yet, but on my last visit to Glasgow Central I met a very chatty female ticket collector who must have given me her life story. Turns out, she is a keen cyclist and her recommendation was bring your bike on any train you like as long as it's not a full commuter, get a seat by the door and just hold the bike in the corridor. Not ideal for longer journeys, but I think would suit my needs. Where are you talking the bike @Glasgow44

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Glasgow44 on some train journeys I book my bike, on some others I don't.
Depends on the route and/or the time of day.
Example: no need on the Balloch line, as it's always a riot with bikes, the staff are very accommodating.
Edinburgh on a week day? Definitely book!
The Perth line: book and make sure you have the proof of booking, sometimes other cyclists lie and take your booking.
Here is the number for Scotrail, but mind that for some journeys bike bookings are not allowed, it's first come first served:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Scotrail claim you can book bike space online but I've never done it. The website also gives a number for making cycle reservations.
I guess things get a bit more complicated if your journey involves more than one different train lines.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I find the GWR booking system good - once you've reserved a seat it will let you book a bicycle space (and I checked this for the Glasgow to Fort William service for next week) so it allows/enables nationwide bookings.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Last time I went up to Pitlochry from Glasgow, the guy in the office had a nightmare trying to print out tickets. I think the train to Stirling couldn't book a bike, but the one after could... but in the end, on the day of the trip, he ran over to me and gave me a totally different set of tickets which had the reservations.
What I took that to mean is, nobody ever seems to reserve their bikes.
Of course, the racks were full on the way back, and I had no energy left, so it was largely academic.
Not tried in the last year. Not sure if I am helping...

Slick

Guru
Last time I went up to Pitlochry from Glasgow, the guy in the office had a nightmare trying to print out tickets. I think the train to Stirling couldn't book a bike, but the one after could... but in the end, on the day of the trip, he ran over to me and gave me a totally different set of tickets which had the reservations.
What I took that to mean is, nobody ever seems to reserve their bikes.
Of course, the racks were full on the way back, and I had no energy left, so it was largely academic.
Not tried in the last year. Not sure if I am helping...
Pretty much my understanding of what actually happens.

Top Bottom