Bike position for longer rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening all,
I'm looking forward to the spring when I hope to get some longer rides in as part of touring programme I’m cooking up (I’m a bit of a forward planner 😀). I’ve done some touring/bike packing in the past, but really don’t get on too well with a loaded bike. My plan is to drive somewhere interesting then go on some long loops back to a campsite - I’m looking at 80ish miles a day, with a nice lunch stop. I’ve done that sort of mileage before but not regularly. So, my question ……… is a good bike fit a good bike fit regardless of distance, or are there tweaks you can make with saddle height/ spacers/stems etc etc to make the miles pass a little easier. I’ll be on a Planet X pro carbon - it’s supposed to be a bit of an all rounder but with a steer to a more ‘racey’ bike (I’ve already replaced the stock 25mm with a set of 32s which just about fit).
cheers all

If you have been doing say 80 milers at the weekend I don't see why you can't do that again next year.
It might take it out of your legs doing it consecutively - but I'd be practicing that of a weekend - do back to back Saturday and Sunday rides, or plan for a shorter trip in between the longer ones.

PX Pro Carbon is a great bike. I didn't realise 32mm would fit.

OP
OP
Juliansou

Juliansou

You you'll be fine!

Do 32mm tyres really fit! Wow!

I'd choose a more comfortable saddle if your current one is a bit racey? Turbo or charge spoon??

Getting out the saddle helps on steeper uphills or coasting down hills.

Also doubling up the bar tape will help too.

If your a confident rider you can ride with your hands resting on the bars or even a puppy paws position.

Yep - it states it will take a 30 tyre so I figured that includes a bit of wiggle room - I certainly wouldn’t want to go any bigger!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juliansou

Juliansou

Well thanks all for your thoughtful replies. I’m planning on taking it at a fairly leisurely pace, I’ll give myself 8 ish hours with a decent lunch stop and if I happen to stumble across a nice pub on route …… who knows!
I guess my main challenge will be maintaining that for a few days as opposed to my ‘one off’ type rides of that distance. I’ve already swapped out the stock saddle for a fabric one (seems similar to the spoon). I might take a couple of spacers to have a fettle with, but it seems the message, loud & clear, is that I may need the tweaks rather than the bike!
Thanks all for your usual helpful comments👍🏻

rivers

How far can I go?
It's very much an individual thing and what your body is capable of/comfortable with. Doing several long rides before your trip will help to dial in position. A bike fit may not go amiss. My longest bike ride to date is 208 miles on my aero road bike- more aggressive than my gravel bike, but not quite as aggressive as my TT bike. Comfortable enough for a ride of that distance (though I hurt in places I didn't realise it was possible to hurt after that ride). 100 miles is my longest on my TT bike. A professional bike fit and several long rides really dialling in the position on that bike was key.

Evening all,
I'm looking forward to the spring when I hope to get some longer rides in as part of touring programme I’m cooking up (I’m a bit of a forward planner 😀). I’ve done some touring/bike packing in the past, but really don’t get on too well with a loaded bike. My plan is to drive somewhere interesting then go on some long loops back to a campsite - I’m looking at 80ish miles a day, with a nice lunch stop. I’ve done that sort of mileage before but not regularly. So, my question ……… is a good bike fit a good bike fit regardless of distance, or are there tweaks you can make with saddle height/ spacers/stems etc etc to make the miles pass a little easier. I’ll be on a Planet X pro carbon - it’s supposed to be a bit of an all rounder but with a steer to a more ‘racey’ bike (I’ve already replaced the stock 25mm with a set of 32s which just about fit).
cheers all

Tough question.

Imo - if your bike fit is correct then it's correct. Part of training for a long bike ride is fitness - but another part is coping with the discomfort that a longer bike ride brings.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have never had a bike fit and yet 150km days is not a problem. I ride most days and to get used to long days you need to practice and make it easy to make small adjustments to saddle height a handlebars. A quick release on the seat post makes that easy. My wahoo Bolt is set to tell me when to drink every 15 minutes and stretch every 20 minutes. It is so easy to forget. I stretch as I ride along.

Jameshow

Veteran
Evening all,
cheers all

For my lejog my miles were 100, 100, 160,

On the first three days the first two being in Cornwall and Devon.

I didn't do any back to back training rides apart from c2c several years before.

I was fine apart from not eating enough on each day. The last 20 miles of the first and third day were particularly tough!

Wooger

is a good bike fit a good bike fit regardless of distance
Yes, provided you've setup your bike primarily for comfort.

There's a sliding sale from comfort to aero, so people doing crit racing or TTs may have a position too aggressive to hold for a whole day - almost everyone goes for a comfortable endurance fit though which will be file for all use cases.

Adding spacers will make the position less aggressive, but that doesn't mean it's more comfy - there'll be more weight on your saddle.
The best thing is to change up your position every so often by using the drops for a bit, standing etc, or doing things like a cat-cow yoga stretch on the bike to give your back a rest.

The real pro move is to do lots of core exercises for months or years before doing long rides which helps prevent sagging into an uncomfortable position after many hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juliansou

Juliansou

Yes, provided you've setup your bike primarily for comfort.

There's a sliding sale from comfort to aero, so people doing crit racing or TTs may have a position too aggressive to hold for a whole day - almost everyone goes for a comfortable endurance fit though which will be file for all use cases.

Adding spacers will make the position less aggressive, but that doesn't mean it's more comfy - there'll be more weight on your saddle.
The best thing is to change up your position every so often by using the drops for a bit, standing etc, or doing things like a cat-cow yoga stretch on the bike to give your back a rest.

The real pro move is to do lots of core exercises for months or years before doing long rides which helps prevent sagging into an uncomfortable position after many hours.

Good advice - although I did have to Google the cat- cow move!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well thanks all for your thoughtful replies. I’m planning on taking it at a fairly leisurely pace, I’ll give myself 8 ish hours with a decent lunch stop and if I happen to stumble across a nice pub on route …… who knows!
I guess my main challenge will be maintaining that for a few days as opposed to my ‘one off’ type rides of that distance. I’ve already swapped out the stock saddle for a fabric one (seems similar to the spoon). I might take a couple of spacers to have a fettle with, but it seems the message, loud & clear, is that I may need the tweaks rather than the bike!
Thanks all for your usual helpful comments👍🏻

I can't think of any reason to alter your bike position/setup. It's either comfortable now or it isn't, if the later you can tweak it now.

When I tour I usually aim for 11/12mph average on a 70/80 mile ride.and find that fits my 9/10 hour days between stopovers nicely. I usually reach a point when I need an easy day as a rest day and so limit that to 40 miles with a late start and an early finish.

GuyBoden

Guru
Getting my saddle in exactly the correct position takes small adjustments back/forward/up/down, it can make a lot of difference.

I'm learning to ride with no hands, so I can rest them on flat, long, straight, quiet roads.:okay:

Sallar55

Veteran
You know when the bike is setup correctly, if you can cycle day after day without mitts or chamois cream the position is correct.

Top Bottom