Bike position for longer rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juliansou

Evening all,
I'm looking forward to the spring when I hope to get some longer rides in as part of touring programme I’m cooking up (I’m a bit of a forward planner 😀). I’ve done some touring/bike packing in the past, but really don’t get on too well with a loaded bike. My plan is to drive somewhere interesting then go on some long loops back to a campsite - I’m looking at 80ish miles a day, with a nice lunch stop. I’ve done that sort of mileage before but not regularly. So, my question ……… is a good bike fit a good bike fit regardless of distance, or are there tweaks you can make with saddle height/ spacers/stems etc etc to make the miles pass a little easier. I’ll be on a Planet X pro carbon - it’s supposed to be a bit of an all rounder but with a steer to a more ‘racey’ bike (I’ve already replaced the stock 25mm with a set of 32s which just about fit).
cheers all

Chislenko

Veteran
To be honest which ever of my bikes I ride once passed 60 miles I am constantly adjusting my position / doing on bike stretching.

It may however be down to my aging body more than the bike though!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Evening all,
I'm looking forward to the spring when I hope to get some longer rides in as part of touring programme I’m cooking up (I’m a bit of a forward planner 😀). I’ve done some touring/bike packing in the past, but really don’t get on too well with a loaded bike. My plan is to drive somewhere interesting then go on some long loops back to a campsite - I’m looking at 80ish miles a day, with a nice lunch stop. I’ve done that sort of mileage before but not regularly. So, my question ……… is a good bike fit a good bike fit regardless of distance, or are there tweaks you can make with saddle height/ spacers/stems etc etc to make the miles pass a little easier. I’ll be on a Planet X pro carbon - it’s supposed to be a bit of an all rounder but with a steer to a more ‘racey’ bike (I’ve already replaced the stock 25mm with a set of 32s which just about fit).
cheers all

Yes. If in doubt, do a few test rides, make sure you don't have any issues that might need sorting. When I got my Tripster a few months back, found I was getting tingling in the fingers (possibly ulnar nerve entrapment) after longer rides- fortunately it wore off after a few days. I knew it was the bike rather than me as the fit on the others was bang on. Back to the LBS, a spacer or two on the stem…no issues since, even on multiple centuries.

Jameshow

Veteran
You you'll be fine!

Do 32mm tyres really fit! Wow!

I'd choose a more comfortable saddle if your current one is a bit racey? Turbo or charge spoon??

Getting out the saddle helps on steeper uphills or coasting down hills.

Also doubling up the bar tape will help too.

If your a confident rider you can ride with your hands resting on the bars or even a puppy paws position.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
… is a good bike fit a good bike fit regardless of distance,
Interesting question. I think so yes. But then maybe it depends how you do your shorter rides. If you're into head-down serious effort levels on your shorter rides ... then perhaps.

As @StuAff says, test riding is the key. As you'll be doing out-and-back rides you won't be terribly loaded up. Looks like you have an excuse to plan and do some longer days out now.

Sounds like a fun project.

davidphilips

Veteran
When you have a bike thats the right size the next thing any cyclist should do is set up the bike for them selves, Cleat placement, saddle height, fore and after saddle placement, followed by handlebar width, then bar height and stem length, saddle width and type are perhaps worth spending time checking.
Have seen lots of club cyclists and know as soon as i see them cycling there bike setup is way out and then they wonder why they have numb hands or pains etc?

Sharky

Guru
Bike fit or not, an 80 mile ride is going to expose weaknesses in muscle fitness in unexpected places. A tweak to position, may address this, but then a recovery period and another ride, could see the problems resolved.

Baldy

Über Member
I’m looking at 80ish miles a day, with a nice lunch stop. I’ve done that sort of mileage before but not regularly.

Getting used to that sort of milage before you start piling on the weight of camping kit might be an idea.

Sharky

Guru
A half hour break mid ride often helps reset niggles and aches.

Thinking back to my early club rides in the 60's, when club rides were all day affairs. We would often ride for 40-50 miles and stop at a cafe for a proper Sunday lunch, with tea served in pint mugs. Then getting back on the bike to find the the legs had turned to jelly. But after a few miles the normal sensation returned for the ride back home. Often arriving back in the dark.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
is a good bike fit a good bike fit regardless of distance

It can still be a good bike fit, but there may be comfort issues you experience at 80 miles that you don’t experience after 40 miles and so on. What often happens after longer distances after you get tired is that you sag more on the bike, don’t move your hands around as much, don’t get out the saddle as often etc. The lack of movement on your bike, sitting there like a tired old bag of spuds, can often be the cause of comfort issues even with a decent fit.

Chislenko

Veteran
It can still be a good bike fit, but there may be comfort issues you experience at 80 miles that you don’t experience after 40 miles and so on. What often happens after longer distances after you get tired is that you sag more on the bike, don’t move your hands around as much, don’t get out the saddle as often etc. The lack of movement on your bike, sitting there like a tired old bag of spuds, can often be the cause of comfort issues even with a decent fit.

I think this is the point I was trying to make earlier but perhaps didn't put it as well as Ming.

A reason why I struggle with indoor cycling, just the lack of movement.

Top Bottom