Bike price hikes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
I noticed a bike I ordered in Jan has gone up £250 since ordering and the change in the pound.

Viking

Anything priced in US$ was only going to rise following the move of the US$ against the £ last year. In IT, Lenovo were quick off the mark as were Apple. I bought a couple of Apple products at the normal outrageous price rather than waiting for the new super-outrageous price because it was obvious that prices were going up. Same with bikes. I had a sweaty period where I was waiting for the 2016 reductions to appear before the 2017 higher priced models arrived. Thankfully, I got my 2016 bike at a good discount. The 2017 model is not only higher priced but also reduced spec. No doubt I bogged it up elsewhere but you win some, lose some.

(I also travel to Italy quite a bit and although the Euro rate of 1.17 that I got the last time isn't great, it is a lot better that I got back in 2009 ish when it was 1.06)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Specialized also won't let Edinburgh bike co-op, and presumably other retailers ship bikes to customers abroad.

I know this as I was buying one in a sale for a close foreign friend and it just seemed easier to get it sent straight from them and pay for this.

But I was told it couldn't be done because of Spec's policy.

I am not criticising Edinburgh Bike Co-op at all who I think are an excellent company.

Call me cynical but it seemed clear to me that this was so that Spec could maintain prices in other markets.

In the end I had to get the bike couriered to me for free and then fly out with it in a bag.
I can't buy a Brompton from Evans and have them deliver it here. Bit strange as nobody hereabouts sells them.

Top Bottom