bike pump siezed ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Testing out my mini pumps , topeak pocket rocket and i have issues
One of them only manages a few psi before the air just goes back and forth into the pump and the other one sticks so its either at the top or bottom of the stroke and no air is coming out :sad:
Good job i tested before tomorrow planned ride

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You haven't got a stuck presta valve have you?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Paul's Top Tip for Today!! 😄

I don't know the cause of ck's problem but I'm of the opinion bike pumps get subjected to awful treatment and conditions. Strapped to the bike for months on end, grit, mud, water thrown at them and then suddenly expected to work perfectly. I've twice needed a working pump only to discover I didn't have one!!! ☹

I wrap mine in some cling film to provide some protection from the elements. Make sure it's 100% dry before doing this.

I do clean and grease mine from time to time.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Paul's Top Tip for Today!! 😄

I don't know the cause of ck's problem but I'm of the opinion bike pumps get subjected to awful treatment and conditions. Strapped to the bike for months on end, grit, mud, water thrown at them and then suddenly expected to work perfectly. I've twice needed a working pump only to discover I didn't have one!!! ☹

I wrap mine in some cling film to provide some protection from the elements. Make sure it's 100% dry before doing this.

I do clean and grease mine from time to time.
the one for commuting sits in my panniers and that worked fine good job :smile: but like you said these 2 sat on the bikes for years and not used so i guess they are farked i doubt its worth rebuilding as by the time you get the parts with postage against the cost of new .

PaulSB

Legendary Member
the one for commuting sits in my panniers and that worked fine good job :smile: but like you said these 2 sat on the bikes for years and not used so i guess they are farked i doubt its worth rebuilding as by the time you get the parts with postage against the cost of new .
Possibly proves the point. Nothing scientific and I only know two others wrap their pumps.

If you've the inclination strip down, wash, thoroughly dry, grease, rebuild. I did this recently with a Lezyne pump and it's fine. No spares needed.

Mind you I'm perfectly capable of chucking stuff in the bin and buying new!!!!! 😄

Reactions: C R
The "rebuilding" may be just a matter of cleaning and greasing. And if a new O ring is needed, you may already have one that fits.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

well i had a fettle and i think i have made one good pump out of two, the valve inside the older one seems to not chamber the next barrel of air it feels like its pulling air in and out of the head when tested against my hand

Top Bottom