bike pump siezed ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I have a nice Lezyne strapped to the inside of my saddle bag. Been there a couple of years. Needed to use it the other day and it had shaken itself to be bits! Come completely unscrewed with loose seals. Fortunately screwed back together but would second those who urge services.

Domus

Guru
Mine is attached to my bottle cage, I remove it when I clean the bike, wipe it over then check it's working before putting it back. Only takes a minute or so. :okay:

I used to mount pumps on the bike by a bottlecage, but have long since put them in panniers. Far better. Problem for roadies of course,hence many carry* that wondrous invention the suppository pump.
*Carry being the operative word, of doubtful use for pumping up tyres.

simongt

Guru
A pump lubing tip from the great Richard Ballantine; never use oil as this can end up being blasted inside the tube leading to the oil eating into the rubber. :sad:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the head in the pump that compresses the air has weakened so the tabs that hold the washer in place were bent which is what i assume was making it stiff , i doubt you can buy a new one

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Seldom-used bike pumps can let you down. I have saved the day out on the road by utilising spit as a lubricant.

Because Richard was of the 'old school' and we didn't have easy access to the myriad of lubes available to todays cyclists; it was pretty much a can of 3 in 1 and that was it - ! 'Lube' was only avaiable from Halfords in 5lb. cans and called 'axle grease'. :tongue:
grease has been around since the industrial revolution - well earlier.
I hope you haven't been taken in by the endless marketing devoted to selling folk "cycling specific" stuff.

si_c

Guru
Possibly proves the point. Nothing scientific and I only know two others wrap their pumps.

If you've the inclination strip down, wash, thoroughly dry, grease, rebuild. I did this recently with a Lezyne pump and it's fine. No spares needed.

Mind you I'm perfectly capable of chucking stuff in the bin and buying new!!!!! 😄
One reason I like lezyne pumps is the ready availability of replacement o-ring kits for servicing the pumps. Very easy to do and quite cheap.

I keep my pumps on the downtube on the bottle cages. Generally they stay clean and dry enough though, and every now and then I take them apart and clean and grease the seals.

Top Bottom