Bike quandry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Had a Trek 2.3 on order, delayed for a few weeks, so feels like I am back to square 1. Very frustrating buying experience to date. In fact the whole experience feels like retailing out of the Ark.

Notwithstanding this I like the following bikes and all are within budget. I have tried them all except the Cubes and the Trek I tried was a 2.1 but same geometry as the other Treks listed.

Trek 2.3 - 54cm, very nice, fits well, decent kit all 105 apart from R600 chainset. Looks a little chintzy with the white saddle/tape/stem but I figured I could change them for not too much money. Can get this for about £1080.

Trek 2.5 - 54cm. As 2.3 but Ultegra all through. Looks much better in blue plus saddle.tape/stem is black so no cost to change.

Spesh Secteur Comp - 54cm. Nice bike, fits well. Not keen on the saddle but needs a longer ride before I can really tell. £1200.

Spesh Allez Comp -53cm. Feels great. Looks great. Saddle comments as per Secteur. Seem to be out of stock till March. £1200.

Cube Peloton Race / Peloton SL. Great looking bikes. Cube tell me they will be freely available this month. Former is 105, latter Ultegra but both have non-groupset brakes (BR-R561).

Not sure which way to jump and tbh I am getting fed up with my ridiculous dithering - I have spent mega-bucks on cars over the years with a great deal less fuss!

Any thoughts on these bikes and anything I ought to be aware of?

Will the Cubes have a similar feel to the Allez Comp?

At 5' 8" all the tried bikes fit fine at 54cm but using the Cube guide I need a 56cm not 53cm - does this sound about right?

Any advantage in changing the Cube brakes to 105/Ultegra?

You will indeed need to get a 56cm if you go down the Cube route. i am a similar height and have that size frame in my 2010 Peloton. As far as the brakes are concerned I can't help. Mine has Tiagra groupset. Brakes work fine especialy with Swisstop pads. Tiagra is not routed on bars in the same way as 105 + so can look a little untidy. Whatever the equipment you've still got to pedal it. Times on my 1 kilo framed Ridley are not significantly different to the heavier Cube, where I notice the real difference is in the acceleration and climing.

Top Bottom