Bike Rack Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
BentMikey said:
The one bit that makes me think it might be an urban myth is that I would personally use some epoxy which can fill gaps, unlike most superglue. Not that I'd actually do this for real of course.

Yeah, but bear in mind that to the general public "superglue" probably covers any glue that sets harder than copydex. It's only when you come to use specific glues to make or mend things you learn the differences, and most people don't mend things any more...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ooops!!! ;):blush:

mailman

Leaving a lock on a vacant bike stand means about as much to a kiwi cyclist in London as British holiday makers who leave beach towels on recliners by a pool before heading off for a 2 hour breakfast! :ohmy:

Its the old "first in, first served" rule my friend.

Regards

Mailman

Blonde

I think you're more likely to get an MTB stolen than a road bike as they are more 'desirable' and saleable to other chavs by the thieves. However an oppurtunistic thief they will take anything that isn't nailed down if they get the chance to, so a locked bike is a bit safer than an unlocked one.

This takes the biscuit though - T'loved one recently had a dodgy chap come into his work and start on about the bike that belonged to another lad there, being v similar to one he'd had nicked etc etc. The upshot was that he wanted this lad to bring out his bike so he could 'take a look'. Of course the lad said 'Go get the Police then, I have a reciept etc. Dodgy bloke went away very fast whilst hurling verbal abuse. Do they really think we're that stupid?!!

It is accepted where I park (in the racks in the underground car park for my office) that everyone leaves their locks on the racks. They are the type that stand the bikes up at 45degrees, with one bike high the next low, then high etc. So etiquette is to allways leave your lock round the base of the tall stands so that whilst places swap over, everyone can get at their lock.

The parking is really secure as you can only gain entry via electronic swipe card, its got full cctv coverage and security guards manning a barrier at the exit. And its only my company in the building. Many colleagues (me included) leave trainers down there for walking to their offices which don't have undergound facilities, or all their spaces are taken. We also have a communual track pump and an honesty box that 99% of the time contains a couple of tubes, and allways has tyre levers and a handful of patches.

The honesty box is really good actually, as if you do have a tyre go down during the day, you can get yourself home without sacraficing your spare tube (if you only carry 1)

Tynan

Veteran
that cool

I had one taken once from a secure bikeshed with cctv behind a entryphone gate

they got in alright, and out and the security guards had no idea whatsoever how to reply the cctv footage of the day, no-one had ever asked before

Top Bottom