Bike Rack For 04 Renault Megane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twizzle

Anyone have any recommendations for bike racks compatible with the 5 door 2004 Renault Megane Hatchback? We'd like to fit one on the back rather than the roof rack, but Halfords can't tell us if one's available?

Cheers,

Andy

Great if you dont want to see out the back of the car, dont want anyone behind to see your lights and dont want to open the hatchback without taking the bikes off.
Also remember you are hooking however many bikes onto a weak hatchback door which was not made to take extra stress and may only be made of plastic.

(Can you tell I dont like 'em!):wacko:

bonj2

hatchback clip-on type? Wouldn't put one on my car! Wouldn't put my bike on one either.
I once got one that clipped onto the boot and when it was correctly mounted it didn't seem stable enough even without the bike on so it went straight back, i certainly wouldnt' have been happy with my bike on it.
They also aren't great for the bodywork of your car.

consider a towbar mounted one, that's what i've ordered for my new car. they're apparently a lot more stable than hatchback clip-on type.

bonj2

i'm getting one of these
it hasn't come yet though so can't say whether i recommend it or not!
But it looks very good and has got good reviews.

ngalbrai

Definately seconded on the towbar mounted ones, you can get them that hinge down so you can open the hatchback when they are loaded, I have one of these:
http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/bike/thule-970-xpress-pro-bike-carrier.htm
Wanted something small that I could leave in the boot all the time and was quick (3 seconds) to install, as sometimes drive to station and ride from there so can get back home if training back, can also lock them to the tow bar and lock the bike to rack though wouldnt leave it for longer than a service station p1ss stop...

OP
OP
T

Twizzle

Thanks for all the tips guys - we'll look into all those links! A towbar looks the best option then - if a bit pricey. Anyone know what would work best with our 04 Megane?

Andy

Top Bottom