Bike Rack Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaneWBA

After some help please on the best bike rack to get for my vehicle

So currently I've ordered this - https://www.thule.com/en-lt/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-outway-hanging-2-_-994001

I was planning on getting a light board as my vehicle reg and lights would be obscured, however I the below is similar to my vehicle and I don't have a tow bar to plug a light board in

I believe my vehicle can accommodate a roof rack, however I was hoping to avoid that type of rack

Is a light board connecting to a tow bar the only viable option to having a boot mounted rack? Or are there an other racks people would recommend for my vehicle or experience they have had with one?

Thanks in advance

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't like boot mounted racks - they can dent the car. Tow bar or roof rack.

D_97_goodtimes

After some help please on the best bike rack to get for my vehicle

So currently I've ordered this - https://www.thule.com/en-lt/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-outway-hanging-2-_-994001

I was planning on getting a light board as my vehicle reg and lights would be obscured, however I the below is similar to my vehicle and I don't have a tow bar to plug a light board in
View attachment 613574

I believe my vehicle can accommodate a roof rack, however I was hoping to avoid that type of rack

Is a light board connecting to a tow bar the only viable option to having a boot mounted rack? Or are there an other racks people would recommend for my vehicle or experience they have had with one?

Thanks in advance
I use The Thule towbar mounted bike carrier. It is secure and reliable. Easy to use. Needed a new bumper to fit the tow ball. Bike carrier was a third of the cost to fit new bumper and electrics.
I have a Saris bones - also secure and reliable. Also easy to use.

Drago

Legendary Member
Tow bar electrics are most likely plug and play on a fairly modern car like that, so probably straightforard to have fitted.

As above, towball or roof mount. Hatch mounts present too much scope for damaging the car, or losing the load entirely if the glass breaks with some.

With that plastic spoiler up top you have nothing to safely clip the mount to that you have purchased. If you did manage to fit it the straps will then lay over the training edge of the plastic spoiler, which isn't designed to be load bearing and almost inevitably will break. If you possibly can I would cancel the order.

What accessories do MB sell in their catalogue for this eventuality? Although probably expensive they are liable to be the neatest and most secure method.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
Leave passengers behind, back seats down, bike in boot...why else own a hatchback...free and easy ;)
I have an estate, I can fold the small side of the back seat down and fit two bikes in vertically front wheels & seat posts removed

vickster

Legendary Member
I have an estate, I can fold the small side of the back seat down and fit two bikes in vertically front wheels & seat posts removed
I have a small estate, with seats down I don’t need to remove anything to put in boot

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Thanks for the replies all

Main reason I wasn't going for a tow bar option is due to the cost of having one fitted as my vehicle doesn't have one

I was thinking of a boot rack as no issues with things like low parking barriers which I have experienced a few times at some locations I go to

13 rider

Guru
I'd guess there are roof bar mounting points under the plastic trim on the roof . I'd just a Thule carrier where you remove the front wheel and clamp using the axle very secure . Just remember you have a bike on the roof if you go this way

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

The roof racks really do feel secure, stuck them and and gave it a good pull and push and feels bang on

That first journey with the bike on the roof though, man it's so unsettling and takes some getting used to!

Top Bottom