Bike rack (not strapon)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Does anyone know of a bike rack (like the thule towbar racks) that fits directly to the chassis of a car. I dont want to strap a rack to either of my family motors but also dont want to have a tow bar fitted...just for a bike rack, so I'm trying to find out if there are manufacturers that make racks that fit, like a towbar, directly to the chassis or subframe of a car?

?

Anything that bolted onto the chassis would be so similar to a towbar it wouldn't be economical to make a range of carriers like you suggest, for the limited sales.; Most customers if spending the money required, would probably plump for the versatility of a towbar and separate racks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I went for the top dollar Thule roofrack option (footpack, aero cross bars and 4x591 upright bike carriers). This has been swapped to my new car with just a footpack change and easily carrys all manner of bikes from the kiddies 14" wheeled bike to full size adult bikes with ease so will adapt as the kids grow
There is even room for at least 1 more 591 rack if we needed to.
The set-up doesn't hamper access to the boot.
Rack locks to car and bikes are locked on so reasonably secure (but I put a cable through them all for reassurance if needed)
No messing about with extra lights and number plates.
Much less risk of damage to car by badly secured bikes or badly fitted carriers.

In general the roof rack approach is the superior option (unless you are 4' 6" and would struggle to get bikes up there) and I can only recommend it.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thanks Guys.

Sheff, I wanted to "try" and avoid having a towbar fitted as it would look out of place on my car and would be used rarely (for the cost of the aesthetic compromise) so was looking at detachable bars...as these started to get costly I wondered if i needed one at all and whether a rack had been designed to fit to a chassis mount. I saw one that seemed to do the trick but actually slotted into the towbar frame...so it needs a towbar again.

Skol, I have considered a top rack, but dont want to have to lift the bikes up, plus the places where I tend to ride often have height restrictions on the car parks (national trust type of places) or lots of overhanging trees...I'm a bit worried of all that additional height.

looks like a towbar is the only way for me to get what I want.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You could buy a Peugeot 107 and get this

http://www.towbarsdi...ecarriersC1.htm

That was only made for the 107 as you can't get a towbar for it.

that's actually just the kind of thing....except for the yellow bit attached to the end of it.

I'm surprised there isn't a market for bike racks that dont require a towbar and dont "hang" off the car. There must be loads of business types with big executive motors who wouldn’t dream of having a towbar and just as many types with precious sports cars who dont want their paintwork scratched and dinged by bike hangers

What model and year of car is it?

Some towbars, even the standard flanged ones, have a neck that can be unbolted. Just add some conical re-useable washers to the M12 bolts, and swap the electrics mount for one that will mount onto those bolts such as http://www.discount-towing.co.uk/product/15160-Eclipse_Socket_Mounting_Plate

Even the cheaper detacheable ones such as the ones on the site above add £100 to the cost of the towbar but if it's only a case of 2 minutes with a 19mm spanner to attach the rack, is it worth the cost?

If you're lucky you won't need to cut the bumper (that's a big downside to fitting a towbar on many cars, whether an aftermarket bar or a manufacturer's own

Top Bottom