Bike rack safety (ie theft prevention!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
my travel arrangements have changed a little which means I can no longer put the bike inside the car to part cycle to work but would need to use a bike rack which I already have.

I will put the bike rack and bike on the car at home, travel to point B, take bike off to go to work (point C)
Now I dont want to waste 5 min taking the ruck off which is easier - but then 15-20min putting it on again on my return to the car,

If I leave it on, I suspect it will get stolen, even if it clips in, they can still cut the ropes.
Do you think if I put a lock is a strong deterrent enough?? Any other ideas or options?

Robwiz

Regular
I always work on the assumption that 'if it can be stolen, it will be...' so wouldn't leave it to chance.

If time is so critical then I'd invest in upgrading to a more secure/hard to steal rack (maybe on the roof? or one that's quicker to set up) or a bike that can be quickly folded/dismantled to go inside the car.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

I always work on the assumption that 'if it can be stolen, it will be...' so wouldn't leave it to chance.

If time is so critical then I'd invest in upgrading to a more secure/hard to steal rack (maybe on the roof? or one that's quicker to set up) or a bike that can be quickly folded/dismantled to go inside the car.

Hadnt thought of that thanks, however in the past had always dismissed it as had a back injury and wasnt strong enough to lift my bike. But I should try now as I am getting stronger. I have a Saris Porter 3 which should be easy but on your own I find it very fiddly.
Buying another bike is not an option as I just bought a cx bike, which I will use for this commute.

Just out of curiosity, how far is the 'car' bit?

Home to point B is about 14m. Point B to work is another 9miles. These distances are all one way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What car ?

A CX bike will be quite light. Drop rear seats, and shove whole bike in. I can just about get my commuter in the wife's Yaris without removing anything - whole bike, seats folded, front shoved forward. My car is bigger and it will fit whole with just the back seats folded.

That is unless I call the Team Car out without notice, wife arrives with kids and I realise the bike roof rack is locked - took 10 minutes to completely dissasemble bike, wheels, rack guards.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

What car ?

A CX bike will be quite light. Drop rear seats, and shove whole bike in. I can just about get my commuter in the wife's Yaris without removing anything - whole bike, seats folded, front shoved forward. My car is bigger and it will fit whole with just the back seats folded.

That is unless I call the Team Car out without notice, wife arrives with kids and I realise the bike roof rack is locked - took 10 minutes to completely dissasemble bike, wheels, rack guards.

Lightness is subjective as I mentioned I have had a back injury and it's my weakness, although Im working on my core and back to strengthen it more.

Also I mentioned in the first line of my post that I used to put it in the back of the car wholly but this is not possible anymore.

Robwiz

Regular
Also I mentioned in the first line of my post that I used to put it in the back of the car wholly but this is not possible anymore.

How would your bike fit in the back of your car if you drop the front wheel out (assuming it's a quick release), turn the bars round through 90 degrees and drop the saddle to its lowest setting. A bit of a faff I know, but probably quicker than messing around fitting the bike rack.

Robson3022

I know your probably not looking for this answer but if you've got qr stuff is it not easier to chuck in the back of the car?

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

I know your probably not looking for this answer but if you've got qr stuff is it not easier to chuck in the back of the car?

It's not that I dont want this answer is that like I said it is not possible anymore!!! I am dropping off my boys to school and the back seats cannot be folded and the bike wont fit even without a wheel- without folding the back seats

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mimi, you can get counter-balanced roof bike holders which would save your back, but they're a bit expensive, though with the petrol saved on your bike commute, it would soon pay for itself. There will be a suitable fixing for whichever roof bars you can get for your car.

Robson3022

It's not that I dont want this answer is that like I said it is not possible anymore!!! I am dropping off my boys to school and the back seats cannot be folded and the bike wont fit even without a wheel- without folding the back seats

Put the seats down take the front wheel off and just jam the kids in with it. Theyll be fine :wacko:

Top Bottom