Bike rack safety (ie theft prevention!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've never found a problem leaving the rack on the car. It's been on for the last 4 weeks. If I need to call somewhere with bike on, I lock bike through spare wheel (I have a Freelander) with a couple of different locks. I'd not considered that the rack could be pinched but I suppose I'm just tempting fate leaving it on.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Put the seats down take the front wheel off and just jam the kids in with it. Theyll be fine :wacko:

Oh I know what I will do, put the bike in the car and strap the kids to the boot :thumbsup:

My roofrack lives on the car permanently. It's a Thule and has locks to stop you undoing the bars. Likewise the cycle carrier. I guess none would stand up to a determined thief but as a deterrent it's fine, certainly I've, so far, had no issues. All told, I guess what sits on my car must be worth about £400, I don't even think about it now. It probably helps that my car is a bit of a scruffy mutt and pig ugly, so people don't look twice.

I meant to add that because it's a little taller than most estates, I carry a folding step. Most of the time i don't use it but my wife does and it's handy for putting the middle bikes on. It means you don't have to lift the bike above your head until you are in a good position and then it's not as big a lift.

amaferanga

Veteran
If you're only putting one bike on the rack then just buy a cheapo used bike rack and use that. If it gets stolen then it's no big deal, but if it's old and crap looking it probably won't get stolen. If you're anywhere near Sheffield I just happen to have a Halfords high mount rack for sale for next to nothing (£10 cos I just need rid of it) provided you can pick it up. It's actually a decent rack and secure.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Link for website selling Roof Bars for Ford Fiesta, [you'll probably find them much cheaper on ebay]:
http://www.caraccessoriesplus.co.uk/product/ford-fiesta-roof-bars-rack.html

Then you'll need a Hydraulic Bike Lift... the caraccessoriesplus site lists one for a Seat Alhambra but I've asked them if they do one for a Ford Fiesta, [and a Passat as I'd be interested in one]... will post their reply.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It'll be getting on for £300+ for the roof bars and hydraulic bike lift mimi... you can buy a lot of second hand rear carriers [like amaferanga's!] even if one got pinched now and again.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I use a Witter ZX88 rack that fits on the tow hitch (don't know if you have one) and takes seconds to take down and put up.
Both parts of it also have security loops so that they and the bike can be cable locked to the car.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Tow bar rack would be ideal if I had a tow bar :blush:

Crikey you're hard to please..........

You're very unlikely to get a bike rack stolen off of your car, there is little or no resale value for a hatch fitted rack. Ugly it up if you have to, some gaffa tape here and there, scrape some paint off of it, hell, spray the whole think pink if need be.

You could run a chain around it, but think about it;

2 minutes twice daily to lock it up.

That's 16 hours a year in chaining it up. I'd guess that in 16 hours you could probably earn enough to pay for quite a few bike racks.

You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't yet exist. Worry about it if it ever does, not before.

headcoat

Über Member
I've just got a towbar carrier for mine, this can be locked with a small padlock but is easy to take of and chuck in the boot.

I was in a similar situation to you driving 15 miles and cycling 7 and was fed up putting the bike in the car.

Norm

Tow bar rack would be ideal if I had a tow bar :blush:
Might be worth looking at if you are planning on keeping the car. You can possibly get a removable tow ball for £300-ish, and a carrier like NT posted or similar from Thule which has a scissor action takes seconds to fit and load.

I agree with the idea that you can buy a few second hand rear carriers for that price, though.

Robwiz

Regular
Could I suggest a left-field N+1 opportunity. Get a Brompton. I use mine for an 11.4 mile each way commute.
Sling in/out of the boot (Golf). Store under desk. blah blah blah :-)

Slightly more expensive than a semi-disposable rear rack though!

On the low cost rear rack option, my concern would be whether I could get my bike home if some low life had nicked my rack.

Seriously, Bromptons are great for commuting because you can take them with you into work instead of leaving the bike chained up outside and unattended.

Top Bottom