Bike rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
does anyone know much about Thule roof rack system? I am looking to venture further out with my cycling. As I have a Fiesta with a bit of a spoiler I can't fit one to the back. So am looking for a system to go on roof.

There's one on gumtree but I'm not sure (being a girl) if it'll fit my car

Here's the details from ad.

Thule car bike roof rack - £80
The Thule Frame holder with quick locks, fits most frame sizes up to 80mm in diameter. Adjusting and securing is done comfortably and quickly at roof height. Quick release straps, adjustable for different wheel sizes, hold the wheels securely in place. Easy mounting, no loose parts. Maximum of one bike per carrier. Frame clamp folds flat when not in use. Fits T-track Thule aero bars using included adapter. Fits Thule square bars.

That rack with fit your car, but the rack itself needs to be mounted on cross-bars which have to be mounted on the car. These are car-specific. The Thule rack is not car-specific.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
That rack with fit your car, but the rack itself needs to be mounted on cross-bars which have to be mounted on the car. These are car-specific. The Thule rack is not car-specific.

The cross bars are included and are

Re: THULE 532 Bicycle carrier + Thule 753 Fixpoint Xt + Wing Bars

The cross bars are included and are

Re: THULE 532 Bicycle carrier + Thule 753 Fixpoint Xt + Wing Bars

OK. Thule dealers have a chart in their shops that lists what bars fit what cars. You'll have to go online and see if the 753 Fixpoint fits your particular car. The "wingbar" bit simply refers to the style of the bar and that is not bike specific, only the Fixpoint bit.

The Thule carrier is really nice but it is not secure enough for a determined thief. There was a video posted here not so long ago about how thieves bypass it. Have a look at that. It will convince you to get an additional lock.

Ok, if I bought the 754 separately would the rest fit onto that? As at £80 that's cheaper.

754 or 753?

Anyway, the Thule roof system works like this:

1) You need for foot pods. These fit directly to your car, either via the rain gutters, the roofrack bars or via recessed rails in the car roof. You choose these first and they are very car-specific. They form the pillars for the....
2) Cross bars. These fit onto the foot pods. Because they are pretty universal and work with all pods, the only variable is length. The bigger your car, the longer they need be. Too long will overhang a bit and not cause problems, but too short is well, too short.
3) Bike carrier. This fits on top of the cross bars and are completely universal. They even fit on other company cross bars and OEM cross bars like Ford or VW or whatever.

Usually when buying second-hand you will not find a combination of all three that works for you from one seller. The chances of the seller having exactly the same car as you are slim. Therefore it is usually a case of buying the bike rack (universal), cross bars (semi-universal) and then separately, the very specific pods.

You have to go online to Thule and see what pods work on your car. There is no other way of knowing unless the seller had exactly the same car as you.

D

Deleted member 26715

My only concern would be are you happy to be lifting your bike above your head, then trying to balance it with one hand whilst you fix it in place with the other, don't get me wrong thousands do it, but I didn't like doing it. My s-i-l who is 6ft carries a fold up stool in the boot as again he doesn't like lifting above head height. Luckily I have a towbar & use a rack that mounts to that.

Tom B

Guru
rrsac.jpg rr2.jpg rr45789.jpg
Its not often i will recommend Halford's but it is also worth going to you local Halford's. They have a cracking display and all the cards. Sometimes seeing the parts in front of you makes it easier to visualise. Even if you then come away and buy online.

I got the bars, feet and bike carriers from a colleague for a steal. I then just had to buy the small metal brackets specific to my car that go inside to feet.

A couple of notes;
Prior to having this car I had a corsa and a combo van. I bough OEM Roof Racks for those because they were cheaper. However they are specific to those vehicles. So I had to buy new racks when I changed the car - not cheaper in the long run. With the Thule system in general you just change the feet or inserts.
I have wing bars shaped () but turned 90° they are much quieter than square shaped bars.
Locks can sometimes be extra. Mine came with the rack when i got it, but there is a key to lock the bike carrier to the roofbars, keys to stop the bars being removed from the feet, to stop the feel being taken off the car and then some to lock the part that grips the bike on. I still wouldnt trust them longer than a couple of mins and tend to use a long cable lock when not moving. (see pics)

If you do look at buying from Halfrauds, check online prices compared to instore prices & It is times like this that getting a British Cycling Membership to obtain the 10% discount (i..e. you save more than the cost of the membership)

I have a couple of spare cycle carriers (the bits that go onto the roofrack) stuck in the attic which i would consider selling, but the cost of postage to you may be prohibitive. They are the older 530 type with the supposedly less secure clamping mechanism (Not the G shaped clamp)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hatchback...back seats down, bike in back if not taking passengers

Tom B

Guru
My only concern would be are you happy to be lifting your bike above your head, then trying to balance it with one hand whilst you fix it in place with the other, don't get me wrong thousands do it, but I didn't like doing it. My s-i-l who is 6ft carries a fold up stool in the boot as again he doesn't like lifting above head height. Luckily I have a towbar & use a rack that mounts to that.

Is a good point, the reason i got mine at such a steal was the bloke who's sold its wife has a bad back and could not lift the bikes.

Personally I think there is a knack to it, hold the bike on hand around the fork near the front axle, on on the seat stay as near to the rear axle as possible, lift and plonk. Lift up the mounting arm, and clamp on, the bike is then stable enough to support itself whilst I put on the straps. When my Mrs uses it without me she has a little step stool too. I'm 5'9, the missus 5'4.

Top Bottom