Bike Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello friendly cycling peeps :smile:

I'm looking for advice on bike racks for my car.

I've looked into tow bar mounted ones but found that I can only get a swan neck tow bar and it's a stupid amount to pay for it as it is only possible to get them via the dealership as there weren't many of my car sold in the uk so thats out.

considering, at the moment the Saris Bones carrier ( http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rb...P5zqBAFE9EpwabW6kdz4CzB5RiRn1kaAkG~LJoH_yzeVg ) but worried I might end up needing a light and number plate board

or, just putting them on the roof.

The car has roof bars but being a small (fiesta sized) estate car it does feel side winds and especially shear winds blowing off the front of a truck when overtaking, although not a problem when your ready for it and its only in heavy windy rain that i have to think about it.

my worry is of ending up driving in bad conditions and the wind catching the bikes, does this happen? or does it just blow through the tubular structure of the bike frames?

any advice and oppinions regarding the pros and cons of roof mounting or rear mounting would be welcome.

wafflycat

Black Sheep said:
I've looked into tow bar mounted ones but found that I can only get a swan neck tow bar and it's a stupid amount to pay for it as it is only possible to get them via the dealership as there weren't many of my car sold in the uk so thats out.

Just a thought.

You *may* find that your dealership actually farms out the installation work to a third party - and if you go direct to the third party, it knocks a shedload off the price. Certainly that's what happened with my Merc. The dealership price to fit a towbar was silly money, but we found out via a friendly soul at the dealership that the work was farmed out - and should we go direct to the place that actually did the work, it would be a lot cheaper. And it was.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've usually managed to get a boot-mounted rack high enough to clear the numberplate. Boot mounted racks have always worked fine for me - took three bikes to Lyon and back on the back of a Fiat Tipo. Only discovered some time later the tailgate isn't metal - it's plastic :biggrin:
TBH,most hatchbacks will take two bikes inside, if you fold the back seats down and get the front wheels off. Off the bikes, that is. Not the car. That would be silly.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Wouldn't worry if you have to get a plate board, if you do you do. I'd say rear carriers are much better once you get used to them.

It's hard to say with carriers how much movement you'll get as it varies from carrier to carrier and bike to bike. Some sway and flex more than others. As long as you really check it's secured properly it'll be fine, after a few journeys you'll relax and not worry about it any more and just worry about the things that do matter like clearance.

battered

Guru
I prefer roof mounting. Just don't do what my Dad did, he forgot the bike and went into a low hotel garage. New forks for a Dawes Galaxy, please. :-(

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's a small estate two bikes will fit in the back, stripped down. They will be safe from theft, damage, rain and road salt and your fuel consumption won't be affected. The cost to you? £0.00.

Why buy an estate then put bikes on the outside?

HeyWayne

Globalti said:

When you've got a 16 month old baby and a shed load of paraphernalia to carry along with the bikes.:sad:

I couldn't find a suitable rear mount carrier for my Honda Accord Tourer. I ended up with roofbars and roof mount cycle carriers. Being the height I am it's easy for me to lift/secure the bikes - but I understand for the more vertically challenged that walk amongst us, this can be an issue.

The benefit of having the roof mounted carriers is that the roofbars come in handy too.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Globalti said:
If it's a small estate two bikes will fit in the back, stripped down. They will be safe from theft, damage, rain and road salt and your fuel consumption won't be affected. The cost to you? £0.00.

I didn't buy the car, just a happy aqusition.

The reason for putting bikes on the car is to fit a whole load of camping gear in the car to go awayfor the week. Once on site the bikes will go in the car for security.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
With regards the tow bar, I was going to get the part and fit it myself.

I've tried every rack in halfords and they all block plates and some block my lights.

I'm nice and tall, as is my wife so we should be fine lifting bikes.

I use a rear mounted one but you need a light fitting connection installed if you do not already have one. I'm led to believe the roof mounted ones are better in many ways but I thought I this would be cheaper. Add the electrical connection and tailboard to the cost for the rear mounted ones. When I change car I will buy roof mounted ones if there is no electrical connection already fitted. I've got the option of using roof boxes too which we will need to go camping.

I've always used roof mounted bars. All of the systems have advantages and disadvantages but roof mounted means the bikes are out the way if you need to get in the boot and being high up makes them visible to you when parked and slightly less prone to the casual thief. I also find I can get four bikes and a long narrow roofbox on top, very handy for going camping with kids and dog.

Do you feel side winds? Very occasionally, certainly not enough to cause brown pants moments, in fact I often forget they are there when driving but don't forget them when going into car parks or down tree lined country lanes.

e-rider

crappy member
I tried a couple of strap mounted racks and they were rubbish and dangerous - I'm surprised they are on the market and after owning them I would never follow behind a car closely that was using one. I did fnd that with only one bike on it, it was just about OK but with two or three it was insane!

In the end I got a towball fitted and bought a Thule tow ball rack and it's brilliant.

I also had a roof bar mounted system a long time ago and whilst driving a long the mechanism that held the forks snapped making the bike fall over nearly smashing the driver and rear window and all that held it to the car was a toe strap that was used to secure the rear wheel - very scary!

Top Bottom