'Bike rage' highlighted as police target bad cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WeeE

Some odd non-sequiturs:
"She was going to turn left but had to stop to give way to other cars..."
The disjunction implies that this was in some way unanticipated by her.

"..when she heard a loud bang."
Implies that the first she knew of the cyclist was the bang; that she had been unaware of the cyclist. But surely she should have seen him when she checked her mirror before signalling the left turn?

"A cyclist had deliberately rammed his bike into her car causing damage."
How did she discern his motivation? And why would he deliberately damage his own bike?
"She looked in her mirror and saw the cyclist speed off back along Garlic Row."
Implies that by the time she saw him, he had turned his bike around or at least was turning it, behind her car, as seen in the mirror.

How did she know he was unshaven? For someone who didn't appear to know there was a cyclist behind her, she's suddenly noticing a lot of detail. Why on earth would he turn his bike around in the middle of the road and retrace his route...? If his bike had damaged a car, wouldn't it have come off worse? Wouldn't he have to take it off the road?

"He was angry because he had to stop and cycle around her car."
Why WOULD he stop, instead of filtering past her...unless he didn't know she was going to stop. Why would he have to cycle around her car, unless she was positioned so as to block the entire lane?

And was he totally silent, and is she telepathic? Any words between them would surely be notable - that's strange by its absence!

To me, this sounds exactly like someone cutting across a cyclist that she just plain didn't notice; possibly a cyclist who hadn't even come from where she thinks he went "back" to.

wesa

Am I missing something here? (probably;))

As a result of the terrible 'bike rage' the Police are having a clamp down on cyclists. But this is the best (only?) example they can find to show just how bad bike rage is?

Perhaps this driver was the innocent victim of an angry cyclist (there are too many holes in the report to be clear), when are the Police going to have a clampdown on the drivers.

I note that it was a terrifying experience (a bit unnerving?), at least she was still alive.

I have had a car deliberatly driven at me while on my bike, I would much rather have been in a car and had a cyclist ride at me. I didn't note the car's registration, should I expect the Police to have a clampdown on dangerous driving based on my one report?

jimboalee

Cambridge News 23 October

Yesterday, on a farm near Waterbeach, a donkey died.

Editor - "I hope you can get a better story on Monday, or you're fired"..

rh100

I don't understand the ramming bit either - surely the front end to hit the car was made of rubber full of air (the tyre). The experience must have been like being mauled by a sheep.

OP
OP
Alien8

Alien8

Senior Moment
jimboalee said:
Cambridge News 23 October

Yesterday, on a farm near Waterbeach, a donkey died.

Editor - "I hope you can get a better story on Monday, or you're fired"..

I think you may be attempting to trivialise this serious incident at the world famous Waterbeach Donkey & Giraffe Sanctuary.

pic_12005019115303.jpg

WeeE

Oh, wait a minute: Just read the story.
Who was it posted the link to that stupid ITV researcher trying to wind up people on a car forum...?

"Officers will be out in force for a week-long crackdown to coincide with the end of daylight saving time. Last year, hundreds of fines were issued.
Joining officers on Wednesday night, will be a film crew from ITV1's Tonight show who are shooting a documentary on bike rage."

WeeE said:
Oh, wait a minute: Just read the story.
Who was it posted the link to that stupid ITV researcher trying to wind up people on a car forum...?

"Officers will be out in force for a week-long crackdown to coincide with the end of daylight saving time. Last year, hundreds of fines were issued.
Joining officers on Wednesday night, will be a film crew from ITV1's Tonight show who are shooting a documentary on bike rage."

I was just thinking that, wasn't it on autocar or something.
I'm sure they'll mention the hit and runs by cars too.

Anyway, here is the link to the online news story, be warned that they sometimes pull the 'reply' function.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=458833

WeeE

I did reply, with a completely polite, short post just saying the story didn't add up. It got accepted (to be moderated) but hasn't been posted.

Incidentally, how does the paper make its money? The online version basically has local news (no money) and the only features section it has is..."motoring" - which turnsot to be ads. (money)
Apart from that...a couple of personals/services ads (hardly any money)
And fifty-odd personals/motoring, people selling second-hand. (money)
So of course they're going to be terribly impartial, aren't they?

I think it's time to start taking seriously the suspicion that the anti-cycling media splurge is orchestrated by vested motor interests; and that objections to cycling facilities aren't necessarily any more local, spontaneous or genuine.

Let's see how many car ads pop up on the Tonight show...

HobbesChoice

Actually rh100 I've been mauled by a sheep and I can assure you it's nothing like being whacked with a bit of rubber! Those heads are all bone!!!!! :becool:

But I'm as confused as everyone else on this story and find it all very worrying that once again it's the vulnerable cyclists who are the offenders here and should be caught and punished. :smile:

My interpretation on this is that she backed out of her drive, scraped the car along the wall and panicked so came up with this elaborate story about a cyclist being angry with her (her husband maybe had a rant the night before about a cyclist out with no lights thinking he owns the road etc) so rams her car and then scuppers off!!!!! Total conjecture of course but to me sounds more likely than the story in the paper.

Top Bottom