Bike Repair/Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sagefly

Veteran
Guys, I new to here and pretty new to cycling.

I live in London and am looking for a course or similiar on bike repair and maintenance.

Can anyone reccommend a course, workshop or similar on basic stuff, changing a flat the front is ok, but how do I change the rear, things like that.

Any advice much appreciated

Greg

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Greg, I don't know on courses but I found a mobile bike mechanic and paid him to show me how to do stuff. Might be worth looking at, get a quote for a full strip down and rebuild of your bike under supervision. But, be warned, you'll end up with a shopping list for tools as well:biggrin:

OP
OP
sagefly

sagefly

Veteran
Cheers,

Mac, I can't go too far into the rebuild I've got no space at home.

I just want to know the basics, puncture fixing, taking off the back wheel to get it done, so many cogs and bits there.

Nothing worse than looking like a numpty pushing a bike with a flat cos I can't repair it.

Thanks I'll ask in Fudges as well thye might know or even apprentice me for the afternoon!

Cheers

davidg

sagefly, I would highly recommend this

http://www.cycletraining.co.uk/training/individual_training.php#maintenance

I have attended both of their courses and learned a hell of a lot. The basic one is really good and exactly what you need.

It is worth contacting your local borough as most of them will do cheap or free courses in basic maintenance. I went via ealing and the basic course was free for me and then I went back and paid for the second one....

where do you live?

OP
OP
sagefly

sagefly

Veteran
Hi Dave,

I live in Westminster, I'll check their website out its the sort of thing they will do.

Great advice thanks

Greg

OP
OP
sagefly

sagefly

Veteran
I think that they have or had something at the Amberley Rd centre.

I'll check it out and let everyone know.

Cheers

Greg

Tynan

Veteran
replacing the rear is piss easy once you've done it once, give it a go fella

bauldbairn

The Edinburgh Bike Coop do maintenance courses - don't know if there's an EBC near you. Check their website for dates, prices and locations etc.

Good luck! :smile:

ChrisKH

Guru
I know if you work or live in the City of London (or London Boroughs) there are free and subsidised courses on offer. Always meant to go on one, but never had the time as they are at the weekend normally. Try Cycle Training UK (CTUK Maintenance Courses)

see cycletraining.co.uk

OP
OP
sagefly

sagefly

Veteran
I've spoken to the guy at Westminster and he is sending me details of courses that they run each month.

I'll update you as and when.

Thanks for the help and advice

Top Bottom