Bike repairs and the 1980s...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I'm with Smokin Joe on this, plenty of punctures in the old days, friction gear levers, an art to getting a smooth non indexed change, brake cables sprouting from levers, you could still ride decent wheels but hubs and rims and all components of the bicycle have improved with time, giving a much better choice nowadays.

ayceejay

Guru
I'll offer my view on old bikes in two words - ball bearings. anyone who has chased those buggers across the floor knows what I mean.

Oldbloke

Guru
Going back to the 60s I was paying weekly visits to a local garage where the mechanic there straightened out my buckled wheels, caused by reckless racing and jumping the old bitsa wrecks I had around the local woods.

I was reminded of that garage when I saw the mock one set up at Beaulieu motor museum, Old Holborn tins to store nuts and bolts etc.

Used to replace tyres regularly after scorching them through doing broadsides...and trying to adjust cone nuts after changing bearings using those crappy thin spanners.

And cotter pins....

One issue with modern transmission is that it is now designed to be made from high-end materials in Dura-Ace and Ultegra forms, but as the technology trickles down the groupsets, the materials cheapen but the specifications don't.
It may be OK to stamp an 8-spd sprocket out of soft cheese but try that with 9 or 10 speed designs and you end up with egg all over your face.

S.Giles

It may be OK to stamp an 8-spd sprocket out of soft cheese but try that with 9 or 10 speed designs and you end up with egg all over your face.

I can't quite decide if that's a mixed-metaphor or a recipe for an omelette!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
When I was a lad I used to go all over the place on the old 5-speed. Never took any tools with me and had no idea how to fix a puncture

I still go all over the place on the 2x10 speed now...but I wouldn't go out without spare tubes, pump, multitool, tyre levers.

I wonder if I was full of the recklessness of youth or maybe I've become a cautious old fogey now

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My first cycle tour was when 15 in the Peak District, hostelling on a single speed. I'm pretty sure I didn't even carry a puncture kit and don't recall changing chains and the like.
Don't get me started on cotter pins though.
I think the old chains were tooled up for 5 speeds at most and a broken chain was almost unheard of. Reduce the tolerances - 7, 8, 9,10, 11 cog cassettes and you're always going to be weakening the chain unless you change to a better material or widen the space allotted to the cogs. These days I ride carrying a quick link and a chain splitter just in case,yet I've still never managed to break a chain.

Cotter pins were the devil's work. I remember taking to a hammer in frustration with one. Unmissable. As in no one will ever miss one.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I think the old chains were tooled up for 5 speeds at most and a broken chain was almost unheard of. Reduce the tolerances - 7, 8, 9,10, 11 cog cassettes and you're always going to be weakening the chain unless you change to a better material or widen the space allotted to the cogs. These days I ride carrying a quick link and a chain splitter just in case,yet I've still never managed to break a chain.

Cotter pins were the devil's work. I remember taking to a hammer in frustration with one. Unmissable. As in no one will ever miss one.
You beat me to it with cotter pins. Utter rubbish. Thankfully they are no more (I hope).

Top Bottom