Bike repairs and the 1980s...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
When I first started riding as an adult in the mid 90's I never did any bike maintenance at all.
My first bike was a BSO from Big W. I rode it for years without so much as putting air in the tyres!

I've learnt the error of my ways now, I do occasionally clean and oil the chain, but not much more than that!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When I was a lad I used to go all over the place on the old 5-speed. Never took any tools with me and had no idea how to fix a puncture

I still go all over the place on the 2x10 speed now...but I wouldn't go out without spare tubes, pump, multitool, tyre levers.

I wonder if I was full of the recklessness of youth or maybe I've become a cautious old fogey now
Equal measures of both I reckon.

Mrs M

Guru
Got my first "serious" bike in 1980, a Halfords 5 speed "racer".
Did all my own maintenance and puncture repairs, with the aid of the instruction manual that came with the bike and an assortment of "tools", mostly borrowed from the kitchen. :ohmy:
Last puncture was on this bike. Don't do any maintenance now, just take to LBS, they are very good.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Round my way some mates got moped handle bars on their bikes
Round our way some lads had old mopeds with the accelerator like a friction shift lever on the bars, no end of fun on the wasteland ,^_^

So, to summarise:
Good in the olden days:
Chain life, sprocket and chainring life

Good in the newfangled 21st century:
Rims, spokes, hubs, tyres, lights, brakes.

I have fettled numerous bikes from all ages and grades. Metallurgy in some older bikes (eg 1950s raleigh) was very good, esp when it comes to nuts, bolts, cotter pins, cones, ball bearings, spoke nipples, cable ends. New manufacture versions of typical grade are now much softer. Even mudguard metalwork is softer now than that found 20years ago. The bike industry is perfectly capable of better, its is just penny pinching.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So, to summarise:
Good in the olden days:
Chain life, sprocket and chainring life

Good in the newfangled 21st century:
Rims, spokes, hubs, tyres, lights, brakes.

I got a new SRAM Apex equipped bike 18 months ago. It has done 4,000km. It has been well looked after and cleaned/lubed after every ride.
The BB seized a couple of months ago and had to be replaced.
I have completely worn out the transmission (Chainrings, chain and - almost - sprockets).

What utter cack. Modern life is rubbish.

Top Bottom