Bike respray, is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotty110788

Not a know how since im just gonna pay someone :thumbsup: i contacted a powder coater in my area and he said
"The price to shot blast, prime and powder coat a bike frame is £60 and £15 for the swinging arm.
If you bring your bike along you can choose your colour from our selection.
In terms of artwork, we are not designers but if you can get stencils made up we can spray on designs"

is this worth it and whats a swinging arm? want to make my bike look unique
^_^ i can just get some designs of google but wont know where to start :blush: Thanks

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
If you're doing it to improve the future resale value of the bike then no it's probably not worth it, but if you're doing it because you love your bike, want it to be unique and intend to keep it long term then I'd say yes it is.

That price seems okay - certainly similar to other quotes people have discussed on here.

I may be wrong but I understand the swinging arm to be the rear section of a full suspension bike frame. I'm ready to be corrected on this though.

HovR

Über Member
Seems like a reasonable price to me. I contacted my local place, and was quoted £35 for the shot blasting and an extra £85 for the powder coating +VAT! Contacted another local place and got no response.

I believe he may have quoted for a motorcycle frame.... The chain stays are know as a swinging arm on a motorcycle with a sprung rear end, as they swing...

I've never heard the term used for full-suss MTBs, although it might be.

I'd check that he knows it's a bicycle you're asking for a quote on.

sidevalve

Über Member
Definitely sounds like a m/cycle frame quote. Check it out you may get an even better deal BUT if you do use it check what they use to blast the frame, M/cycles frames are far heavier than cycle frames and the hard grit used could literaly tear holes in a thin cycle frame.

Top Bottom