Bike sales in decline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Agreed. But looking at news story after news story about people up to their neck in debt not knowing what to do to get out of their financial mire and belatedly realising that buying the latest greatest, following must have trends, flitting off to eg Dubai etc was their downfall; leads me to believe that a bit of frugality wouldn't come amiss in some quarters.

Bit OT - maybe we need a frugality thread. :smile:

I agree with all your points, the point I was making is that if you can afford to then why wait.

petek

Über Member
There are a lot of wealthy pensioners in Lincolnshire, a longtime of making Yorkshire folk look generous has taken care of that.
You can be a 'wealthier' pensioner in Lincolnshire than elsewhere IMO.
Money goes a lot further here.
Artisanal loaf of bread in Burnham Market = £6-40.
Artisanal loaf here = £1

bpsmith

Veteran
I can’t argue with being Frugal. That doesn’t mean you buy the cheapest of everything in my book. Far from it in fact. I like reasonably nice things, but then I look after them and make them last a long time.

The downside to others being frugal is that prices rise. Less sales = higher prices.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I can’t argue with being Frugal. That doesn’t mean you buy the cheapest gas f everything in my book. Far from it in fact. I like reasonably nice things, but then I look after them and make them last a long time.

The downside to others being frugal is that prices rise. Less sales = higher prices.

Less sales less jobs, I would also imagine less sales less taxes paid.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nothing to do with being frugal .If I have x number of pounds to buy a bike and that will buy me a better bike in last years colours seems like a no brainer.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would rather have the one I liked the most, great that we have choices. What did you spend the £300 you saved on.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I’m with you on that one but there are also many who wouldn’t be seen dead drunk on a bike in an older unfashionable colour scheme. There are the people fuelling demand for new machinery plus those who seem to ‘collect’ them simply because they can.
Those sorts of people are more-money-than-sense victims of rampant consumerism. I've decided to reject all this nonsense. My "modern" car is 11 years old and works perfectly. My iPhone is an old 4S, which oddly enough still allows me to make calls and texts just as well as the latest £££ version. If you spot me wearing a pair of scruffy old jeans, they will be in that state due to the amount of wear they have had, not because I bought artificially "distressed" ones new in the shop. Those of use who refuse to allow big business to dictate our choice of bikes, cars, phones, clothing etc get a lot more bang for our buck - and I would suggest usually aren't the people up to our eyeballs in debt either.

bpsmith

Veteran
I am fancying a 2018 bike as the colour is awesome. I have seen the 2017 version for £600 less. I like last years colourtoi, but prefer the newer colour. £600 more? That’s a tough call!

As it happens, the frame has been updated quite a bit and the newer version of the groupset is fitted.

Luckily, I don’t yet have the cash, so it’s academic for now. :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
So original" more money than sense" if they are in debt I would say it may be the opposite.

Big business give me choices, it does make me spend money, as a way of outdoing you the jacket I put on in cold mornings to walk from my car to the pool is 35 years old.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm not sure that 'entry level' is so simple to understand as someone appears to have been laughing so hard that they have missed the double meaning marketing/upsell aspects of the phrase.

All that effort for just that ? Boring day ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I am fancying a 2018 bike as the colour is awesome. I have seen the 2017 version for £600 less. I like last years colourtoi, but prefer the newer colour. £600 more? That’s a tough call!
Have the best of both worlds!. Patience is a virtue. Wait until the tail end of 2018, then buy the 2018 model you seem to like so much at a similarly discounted price when the retailer wants to clear the space for the 2019 models. If a bike/car/whatever appeals that much now, it is still going to appeal in a year's time, during which you can save up the money and pay cash rather than go into debt for it.

Top Bottom