Bike sales in decline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
On a personal level, I have no intention of buying any new bike. I've got one I've owned for years, plus I've now got a couple of scrappers FOC that I can fix up as hacks for peanuts. I couldn't care less if my bikes are not 2018 models, or they aren't in the latest manufacturers colour scheme, so I'm not going to replace a perfectly usable bit of machinery just for the sake of keeping up with the Joneses.
I’m with you on that one but there are also many who wouldn’t be seen dead drunk on a bike in an older unfashionable colour scheme. There are the people fuelling demand for new machinery plus those who seem to ‘collect’ them simply because they can.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The new bikes I have bought have been last years models discounted.Unless the spec is upgraded why pay hundreds more for essentially the same bike?

Johnno260

Veteran
The new bikes I have bought have been last years models discounted.Unless the spec is upgraded why pay hundreds more for essentially the same bike?

When I bought my Merida I paid a ton less as it was last years colours, mechanically it was the same as the 2017 model.

Johnno260

Veteran
By the by/e why did the wife have a call on this? Do you have a call on her economical health and transport investment?

I was made redundant by my firm, but they have kept me on as a temp, so any big spends I talk to her about as technically I don’t have a full time job.

I saved my rear end off for my roadie and everyone was made aware if they wanted ideas for birthday/Xmas gifts then it was vouchers for the LBS.

screenman

Legendary Member

Nothing wrong with buying something when you want it rather than when it becomes chaeper as you may not live to that day.

Living as I do in Lincolnshire I know of so many people who live extremely frugaly and die leaving large wads of cash. There again if your pleasure in life comes from hoarding the pennies then I am sure they are happy.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Nothing wrong with buying something when you want it rather than when it becomes chaeper as you may not live to that day.

Living as I do in Lincolnshire I know of so many people who live extremely frugaly and die leaving large wads of cash. There again if your pleasure in life comes from hoarding the pennies then I am sure they are happy.

Frugal is a good quality in my book. If more people were more frugal we wouldn't be sitting on a trillion pounds (or whatever the number is) of personal debt - some of which has been accrued by expenditure on needs and some of which by expenditure on wants. No idea what the split would be.

Frugal doesn't mean a life of penury. Mrs SD and I are very frugal but we are a million miles from hard up and lead a very comfortable life.

petek

Über Member

Aye, Lincolnshire people know what a pound will buy. That plus we have a lot of retirees eking out their pensions.
MrsP is the saver in our house, I'm not; but she keeps me on a short lead.
Advantage of that being, if either of us does want a big ticket item, we can buy it.
Hence my new Pashley.
:smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
You do not have to have debts to not be frugal.

Agreed. But looking at news story after news story about people up to their neck in debt not knowing what to do to get out of their financial mire and belatedly realising that buying the latest greatest, following must have trends, flitting off to eg Dubai etc was their downfall; leads me to believe that a bit of frugality wouldn't come amiss in some quarters.

Bit OT - maybe we need a frugality thread. :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
Aye, Lincolnshire people know what a pound will buy. That plus we have a lot of retirees eking out their pensions.
MrsP is the saver in our house, I'm not; but she keeps me on a short lead.
Advantage of that being, if either of us does want a big ticket item, we can buy it.
Hence my new Pashley.
:smile:

There are a lot of wealthy pensioners in Lincolnshire, a longtime of making Yorkshire folk look generous has taken care of that.

Top Bottom