Bike sales in decline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Rumour has it the government are considering some form of financial encouragement for people to buy e bikes.

Could be a lifeline to bike shops .
If they do it for cars, then why not?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Because the implication is that "Entry level" is something only suitable for rookies and if you want to be taken seriously you need to be looking for something better in the near future. And it's bollocks whether it applies to cameras, Hi-Fi or any other piece of kit.

Really ? Is that a joke ?

We’ve hit ‘peak cycle’ the ‘2012 brigade’ have decided that cycling is actually ‘rubbish innit’ and have taken up fishing / golf / ‘Park run’ because that’s ‘well good innit’. On line only operations are nailing the lid shut on the coffin of the traditional LBS type of operation. That’s progress, I guess.

screenman

Legendary Member
We’ve hit ‘peak cycle’ the ‘2012 brigade’ have decided that cycling is actually ‘rubbish innit’ and have taken up fishing / golf / ‘Park run’ because that’s ‘well good innit’. On line only operations are nailing the lid shut on the coffin of the traditional LBS type of operation. That’s progress, I guess.

None of the cyclist I know of who have started in the last 5 years are still out riding. I however know if some who have been cycling for years that have packed it all in, I think they could not keep up with all the enthusiasm.

None of the cyclist I know of who have started in the last 5 years are still out riding. I however know if some who have been cycling for years that have packed it all in, I think they could not keep up with all the enthusiasm.
That’s pretty much my experience as well. Some ‘stalwarts’ who have ridden with me for over 15 years, have bailed, they’ve told me it’s because they don’t want to be associated with the ‘smash this and that and the other’ bunch, and the Stravassholes. I’ve encouraged them to keep going, some have, some haven’t. I don’t think I know of anyone, who started cycling after the Olympics / Brudley’s TdF win, thing, that are still cycling regularly. Hopefully the hardcore will come back after the situation ‘normalises’ somewhat.

bpsmith

Veteran
I started riding in late 2013. I am still riding, or at least would be without an injured leg at present.

I didn’t start as a result of 2012. I started after fancying it for many years and never quite getting around to it. I know a few who did start when 2012 brought it to the worlds attention again, and they are still riding too.

Personally, I don’t think it’s due to fashion. It might have brought more people to the sport, but they would have gone irrespective of what’s current fashion. You either enjoy cycling in a big way or you don’t.

I honestly don’t like this attitude towards new cyclists tbh. Perhaps that is also playing its part?

I started riding in late 2013. I am still riding, or at least would be without an injured leg at present.

I didn’t start as a result of 2012. I started after fancying it for many years and never quite getting around to it. I know a few who did start when 2012 brought it to the worlds attention again, and they are still riding too.

Personally, I don’t think it’s due to fashion. It might have brought more people to the sport, but they would have gone irrespective of what’s current fashion. You either enjoy cycling in a big way or you don’t.

I honestly don’t like this attitude towards new cyclists tbh. Perhaps that is also playing its part?
Everyone was a new cyclist once. I never thought cycling would become a ‘thing’. If anyone who started cycling because it was a ‘thing’ carries on, when it’s no longer a ‘thing’ that’s a good thing.

screenman

Legendary Member

Just woke up and read my post and it seems to say the opposite of what I wanted to write. So here goes.

Not one of the newer cyclist I know have packed, they are all enjoying riding still.

bpsmith

Veteran
Everyone was a new cyclist once. I never thought cycling would become a ‘thing’. If anyone who started cycling because it was a ‘thing’ carries on, when it’s no longer a ‘thing’ that’s a good thing.
Totally agree. That’s where I was coming from too.

Top Bottom