Bike sales in decline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
That’s pretty much my experience as well. Some ‘stalwarts’ who have ridden with me for over 15 years, have bailed, they’ve told me it’s because they don’t want to be associated with the ‘smash this and that and the other’ bunch, and the Stravassholes. I’ve encouraged them to keep going, some have, some haven’t. I don’t think I know of anyone, who started cycling after the Olympics / Brudley’s TdF win, thing, that are still cycling regularly. Hopefully the hardcore will come back after the situation ‘normalises’ somewhat.
Those reasons for quitting Cycling are ridiculous.
Cycling is a fantastic sport not lease because it can be done solo or in groups. There’s nothing stopping your friends avoiding these types of it bothers them so much.

Those reasons for quitting Cycling are ridiculous.
Cycling is a fantastic sport not lease because it can be done solo or in groups. There’s nothing stopping your friends avoiding these types of it bothers them so much.
I know, I try to persuade them as well.

Johnno260

Veteran
Same here I’m relatively new, nothing to do with fashion or olympics, I wanted to keep fit.

I used to do martial arts but my legs are wrecked, cycling doesn’t aggravate my injuries, and above all I really enjoy it.

The forums here and my LBS have been fantastic.

When I first started I had some derogatory comments but I ignored them.

Now if I miss an opportunity to get out on the bike it really bugs me, being outside in the fresh air, sense of freedom, I’m totally hooked I will cycle for as long as I’m physically able.

I love the fact I can ride with friends or a group or go out solo, also unlike gym or fitness classes no time constraints I go when I have time so with kids that’s fantastic, and my 4yr old keeps asking when she can come out with me.

My wife’s Grandma just stopped cycling to the shops to get her paper and groceries and she is 94 so I have a few years to go.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Whichever side of the debate you fall on, the bottom line is that the cycle shops are the ones who take the hit with a decline in sales. So I would expect to see a few more long established businesses go to the wall before the dust settles.

Johnno260

Veteran
Whichever side of the debate you fall on, the bottom line is that the cycle shops are the ones who take the hit with a decline in sales. So I would expect to see a few more long established businesses go to the wall before the dust settles.

Same with many things these days high street stores can’t compete with online.

Still I purchased my bike from the LBS even though I knew I could get the same bike cheaper online, I could’ve even gone for an Ultegra spec Merida online.

I wanted the connection with the LBS, now he will tweak things for free or a pack of biscuits.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
There's always gonna be people trying new sports and hobbies out, sometimes started by certain events that popularise something and could increase the sales for a certain year. Or like others have stated schemes like bike2work that appeal to people and make getting a new bike at a certain price feasible. I know friends and family that have bought new bikes and some that used the bike2work scheme and so not needed to buy a bike again or losing interest and not using their bike again. A lot including myself prefer to buy 2nd hand and save money as opposed to buying new, if I wanted the same spec bike brand new I'd have had to spend a lot more. I understand what some people have said about the price of what some say is 'Entry Level' could put people off buying new if it puts them off riding a bike that to some is sub standard a bit like designer labels with clothes. I think this is a shame if so because I personally couldn't care what bike or clothes someone uses if they enjoy riding then good on them it's about what works for yourself not others.

screenman

Legendary Member

I have just read that online sales have slowed as well. All of my customers in the motor trade had the slowest September ever and things have not picked up.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That’s pretty much my experience as well. Some ‘stalwarts’ who have ridden with me for over 15 years, have bailed, they’ve told me it’s because they don’t want to be associated with the ‘smash this and that and the other’ bunch, and the Stravassholes. I’ve encouraged them to keep going, some have, some haven’t. I don’t think I know of anyone, who started cycling after the Olympics / Brudley’s TdF win, thing, that are still cycling regularly. Hopefully the hardcore will come back after the situation ‘normalises’ somewhat.

I can understand how one would not wish to be associated with the behaviour of others in circumstances where it directly impacts other people. Generally my response to such situations is to visibly behave well**

I don’t though understand how someone could give up their sport because other participants see smashing some target on Strava, a pretty meaningless thing, or similar as fun. They might see these people as “Stravaassholes” but are they harming other cyclists or the public?

** It’s an unwritten rule in my club we should all do our very best to demonstrate cyclists are decent, sensible people. Simple stuff like a smile, wave, thumbs up to, for example, a driver who slows for us. It all helps.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
In a shop not far away there's a gorgeous blue Ridgeback Voyage 2015 - new old stock - which seems to be undamaged in storage. I'm wavering. It could make sense, but I'd want a substantial discount.
Go for it! I bought the self same model new, a couple of years ago, and got it discounted to £510.
Cracking good bike.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have just read that online sales have slowed as well. All of my customers in the motor trade had the slowest September ever and things have not picked up.

Well the bubble has burst in the car trade i think. And other businesses will suffer too.
We're about to see the cost of credit rise and the attack on diesel engine cars , plus the poor alternative choice with electric or petrol.
Brexit and the uncertainty of that.
Its going to be survival of the fittest im afraid

Will Spin

Über Member
I achieved a strava personal record yesterday while out for a ride with my son in the Hampshire Southdowns area; - 58 strava "flybys". Way more cyclists than cars on our route!

I have seen troughs in the cycle market after previous booms. The multiples just contract and shut up shops that are not profitable, retreating to a few big city outlets. As multiples push independents out of business there is a danger that when the market contracts, many towns can find themselves without a bike shop.

Julia9054

Guru
I have got two friends of mine into cycling. The first bought a super expensive sleek machine and is very fit. We have never been out together as he prefers long, fast rides on his own and I would not be able to keep up. He has cycled up all sorts of climbs in France but is still the only keen cyclist I know who only owns one bike.
Went with my other friend to by his first bike - a Specialized hybrid. Since then he has got into both mountain biking and road biking and now owns more bikes than my household put together! However, since his first one, all but one have been bought second hand

Top Bottom