Bike Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lee1980sim

Hi everyone I'm new here just thought I'd see if you have any ideas regarding security for my bike (I do realise that if the little scroats want to steal something they will) however in the last few years I've had to go through the process of replacing 2 bikes.
My first was a Saracen Mantra - had everything stripped from it within 15mins of me locking it up in town (left me with just the frame)
The second was a Claud Butler Explorer 500, where the shed was broken into and the bike carried off

I'm looking into a ground anchor (or 2) so then even if (when) they get into the shed it'll hopefully leave them stumped

any ideas as to what else to do?

some people say try to keep the bike stealth, so nobody know I have one, but my suspicions are due to the street I live on having 25 houses (and being a closed street / culdesac) that the bike was stolen by someone who see's me everyday

Thanks for any suggestions

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Data tag your frame, and register it on bikeregister, bike Shepard or similar sites
Use a GPS tracker from http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Spybike.jsp
Keep a hungry Staffy in your shed

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

Cheers it'll be registered but the tracker seems abit redundant as any decent thieves would know about it and remove it, got well had a decent lock that's why I was left with the frame last time, couldn't bust the lock

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Cheers it'll be registered but the tracker seems abit redundant as any decent thieves would know about it and remove it, got well had a decent lock that's why I was left with the frame last time, couldn't bust the lock

Thieving gits don't generally expect a tracker on a bike as such do not go looking for it.. you can also repackage them, you will unlikely find mine even if you strip the bike, its mounted in a very particular manner.
The data tag is also mounted using epoxy resin, if these are mounted correctly you will not be able to remove them without damaging the frame extensively which makes them very useful.
You can also use micro dots to security mark wheels and similar.
http://www.datadotdna.eu/our_brands.php

theFire

Veteran
I installed some Sheffield stands in my shed and use some decent locks. As you say, won't stop the most determined thiefs but will stop the opportunists.

The best bike lives in the house :smile:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Years ago I had one of these on my shed when I had a fancy expensive motorbike.
http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2964
I set it off once just to hear what it sounded like...Jeez, it scared the living poop out of me and I was expecting it! A thief in the night will definitely have a serious brown trouser moment.
I remember reading about someone who had put one in a pot of paint (not sure I believe it) it supposedly covered most of the garage and the intruders with paint, just make sure you cover your bikes and tools with a tarp!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Years ago I had one of these on my shed when I had a fancy expensive motorbike.
http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2964
I set it off once just to hear what it sounded like...Jeez, it scared the living poop out of me and I was expecting it! A thief in the night will definitely have a serious brown trouser moment.
I remember reading about someone who had put one in a pot of paint (not sure I believe it) it supposedly covered most of the garage and the intruders with paint, just make sure you cover your bikes and tools with a tarp!
Sweet !
I doubt Mrs CK Would let me install one,imagine my 18 month old accidently setting it off ....
Today as a stop gap i blocked the shiplap shed window, installed a wall anchor+ chains and security screws till my new storage arrives and only the commuter hack is in it atm.

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

I'm not allowed my bike in the house despite suggesting several places for it to go, and obviously offering to clean any areas that get dirty but the missus still says no :ohmy:( so I'm left with beefing the shed up as much as I can without it being obvious from the outside then the anchor bolts etc, also considering a couple of alarm sirens to set off when the door is opened

Dave W

You have to think of layers of security, my bikes are in my garden shed, the shed is locked, the shed is alarmed, the bikes are all locked together with decent locks.

Only the other day some scrote lifted a fence panel, cropped the padlock and got in to the shed but ran away as soon as the alarm went off. A £20 alarm potentially saved my bikes because although the locks are decent, it's not impossible to cut them off.

I've since upgraded the security by securing the fence panels so they can't be lifted, put an extra padlock up nice and high on the door so it's harder to crop off and installing an extra PIR type of alarm.

Sadly I know that if they really want the bikes then it's bye bye bikes which is why I've also added all my bikes to my house insurance policy, costs about 30 quid a year and covers the full value of them all, even away from home.

When I consider my insurance excess alone is £150, spending a hundred quid on security is well worth it.

Davidc

Guru
Those alarm mines are awesome. Just remember to arm them at night and disarm in the morning. Be prepared for a little bit of mess if a burglar lets one off.

I have these alarms fixed to my bikes. Very effective but need the switch disabled. (Sometimes cheaper on ebay)

Don't keep any bikes in my shed but use an alarm padlock to help protect the tools in there.

Kookas

Über Member
So I'm spending a few days with my bike in London in a week or so's time. I'm a bit worried about security though, since although the hotel I'm at accommodates bikes, I'll inevitably end up locking mine out in the open on occasion.

Now, I get anxious as it is locking my bike in town here in Birmingham, what with all the people milling around and my bike sticking out like a sore thumb (something that presumably won't be the case in the UK's 'premiere cycling city', of course).

That in mind, what are the worst areas for bike theft in London, and is there anything I could do that would guarantee my bike gets stolen?

On a more positive note, what is there to do as far as 'cycle tourism'? Are any of the cycle superhighways interesting enough to just ride along casually?

Top Bottom